Racism runs pretty deep in the TRUMP administration....this concerns the proposed citizenship question

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I cut out everything after this sentence because anything based on that thought is demonstrably incorrect.
Sanctuary, a place of refuge and protection.
It's not a place where you will be ignored. It's not a place that's trying to save a buck by not alerting the feds of criminal activity (are phone calls still a dime?). It's a place of refuge and protection. I can define refuge and protection for you if you'd like.

Illegal immigration is not a criminal matter. If it was, Obama could have pardoned them all.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Holy shit you are on one today!!

See if you can spot the last time Democrats had an opportunity and then ask yourself what, if anything they did to address immigration.

Combined--Control_of_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_-_Control_of_the_U.S._Senate.png

DACA?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

DACA, as well as SB13 that was already mentioned.

Looking at that graph I posted, one thing I realized was that if people wanted to "make America great again", they'd put Democrats in complete control of the federal government. The contrast is so stark that it's hard to argue against it.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
DACA, as well as SB13 that was already mentioned.

Looking at that graph I posted, one thing I realized was that if people wanted to "make America great again", they'd put Democrats in complete control of the federal government. The contrast is so stark that it's hard to argue against it.

I didn't mention SB13 because it was mentioned already but mainly because I was trying to ask in a sarcastic tone.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Illegal immigration is not a criminal matter. If it was, Obama could have pardoned them all.
"Whether it’s by crossing the U.S. border with a "coyote" or buying a fake U.S. passport, a foreign national who enters the U.S. illegally can be both convicted of a crime and held responsible for a civil violation under the U.S. immigration laws."
But they can't be pardoned until convicted.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
"Whether it’s by crossing the U.S. border with a "coyote" or buying a fake U.S. passport, a foreign national who enters the U.S. illegally can be both convicted of a crime and held responsible for a civil violation under the U.S. immigration laws."

Concerning the bolded sentence of yours above......YOU ARE WRONG! Yet again. For instance, Ford pardoned Nixon without Nixon being charged with anything at all. Carter pardoned hundreds of thousands of Vietnam draft evaders, including those who had not been charged or convicted.

Don't know much about the Garland ruling in 1866 from the Supreme Court, do you? It addressed preemptive pardons....you know, a pardon granted after commission of an illegal act but prior to any charges being placed or conviction being reached. The SC decided that while pardons could reach only past acts, the pardon “may be exercised at any time after [the act’s] commission, either before legal proceedings are taken or during their pendency or after conviction and judgment.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
are you that dense...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Which doesn't contradict what I offered at all. Deportation is a civil proceeding. ~ half of undocumented workers in this country entered legally & overstayed their visas, anyway.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I don’t see how this muddies data collection. I’ve actually been making note of just how much information I need to volunteer just to access basic government services. From a federal budgeting and services standpoint, it is a relevant question.

From a data suppression standpoint, it's super duper relevant. Someone who is undocumented will never respond to the census if that question is on there. Particularly when the government is running for-profit baby prisons for brown people. This accomplishes the GOP goal of undercounting the brown people so areas with lots of white people get more representation than they deserve.

Plus the guy who came up with it said it was a political/race thing.

This is exactly the purpose of voter ID laws. Suppress some small percentage of poor/non-white people and you'll win some elections you wouldn't otherwise. It's all about clinging to power as white people inevitably become a plurality within 25 years.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
From a data suppression standpoint, it's super duper relevant. Someone who is undocumented will never respond to the census if that question is on there. Particularly when the government is running for-profit baby prisons for brown people. This accomplishes the GOP goal of undercounting the brown people so areas with lots of white people get more representation than they deserve.

This is exactly the purpose of voter ID laws. Suppress some small percentage of poor/non-white people and you'll win some elections you wouldn't otherwise. It's all about clinging to power as white people inevitably become a plurality within 25 years.
Funny all the court cases have proven the racist intent behind voter ID laws that even the most hardened Trump lickers are loath to defend them now.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is only a concern because the government is stepping up enforcement of immigration laws. We can’t even agree if there is a border crisis or not, depending on the day and narrative. I would say from a budgetary standpoint it would be super duper relevant to document the undocumented population.

It was a political thing for a nation increasingly split across racial barriers. The recent housing initiative in LA failed for similar reasons.

And when I deployed overseas, the blue state I was a resident of did not make it easy for me to partipate in the very freedoms I served to defend, but I still managed to vote, so I have little sympathy for the suppression argument. I do however support online voting and making election day a holiday and/or extended over numerous days.

SCOTUS is about to weigh in on partisan gerrymandering based on cases that reflect poorly on separate incidents of GOP and Democrat shenanigans.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is only a concern because the government is stepping up enforcement of immigration laws. We can’t even agree if there is a border crisis or not, depending on the day and narrative. I would say from a budgetary standpoint it would be super duper relevant to document the undocumented population.

It was a political thing for a nation increasingly split across racial barriers. The recent housing initiative in LA failed for similar reasons.

And when I deployed overseas, the blue state I was a resident of did not make it easy for me to partipate in the very freedoms I served to defend, but I still managed to vote, so I have little sympathy for the suppression argument. I do however support online voting and making election day a holiday and/or extended over numerous days.

SCOTUS is about to weigh in on partisan gerrymandering based on cases that reflect poorly on separate incidents of GOP and Democrat shenanigans.

Stop bullshitting.

"Dear illegals: Tick this box & rat yourself out to La Migra. Or just chuck the form & pretend you're not here."

That pretense is designed to shift representation & fuding to GOP areas, of course, as recent disclosures have shown.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Stop bullshitting.

"Dear illegals: Tick this box & rat yourself out to La Migra. Or just chuck the form & pretend you're not here."

That pretense is designed to shift representation & fuding to GOP areas, of course, as recent disclosures have shown.

they dont give a fuck. They want a minority of rural whites to rule over everyone else.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Let the courts rule against the citizenship question, who cares. If they do, the commerce department can just send out the “long form” census (American Community Survey) to everyone since it already has a citizenship question on that version. The Trump admin just won’t even bother with the short census form where the citizenship question is struck.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Let the courts rule against the citizenship question, who cares. If they do, the commerce department can just send out the “long form” census (American Community Survey) to everyone since it already has a citizenship question on that version. The Trump admin just won’t even bother with the short census form where the citizenship question is struck.

And why would they do that other than to defy the intent of the Constitution while seeking partisan advantage?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Feel free to point out the relevant section of law that requires the short form be used.

We've already been through this. It's wrong & un-American to try to twist the census for political advantage. Just plain wrong. The Constitution says to count all persons so we need to do our best job of that ahead of all other considerations. Our govt needs accurate information to govern well but the GOP doesn't mind depriving us of that at all. They're all about winning at all costs.