Question R9 fury x artifacts!!!

Dzy223

Jun 11, 2021
My r9 fury x shows artifacts and I think i tried just about everything. I tried replacing the thermal paste, cleaning the whole gpu with wd-40, heat gun, lowering the clocks and voltages by close to 50% and still the same. If any of you can help i will be very thankful.

Also the driver crashes and it black screens for a few seconds, it has artifacts even on startup and bios and the usage shows 100% all the time while memory stays on 0.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Sounds like the ram chips on the GPU are going bad (or the GPU itself). You've done everything you can, it's time to retire that card and find something new.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Keep in mind Fury cards use HBM, and last I recall the recent AMD drivers did not allow for HBM OC or OV. I might be wrong here though. Anyway, try reducing clocks on either core or HBM, if possible, one at a time, to see if either helps with stablity, and at least then you will know which one is the problem. You may need to search for R9 Fury overclocking advice to get more information.

All that said, there may be nothing you can do to help the card.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Keep in mind Fury cards use HBM, and last I recall the recent AMD drivers did not allow for HBM OC or OV.

I have a Vega56 with HBM, and the driver gives me the appearance that I could overvolt the HBM ram. I do not know if the BIOS on the card allows it, and I certainly have never tried it. My card is 100% stock.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Vega is different, uses HBM2 :p
But OCing Vega cards don't work like that. Changing the memory voltage setting doesn't actually change the HBM2 voltage. I think it sets a sort of voltage floor for the core. I know, weird. For Vega cards, generally you would OC the HBM2 frequency while undervolting / tweaking the core a bit. Also depended on cooling.

Reactions: Leeea