r9 380x died...

subtraction

Nov 22, 2009
So I purchased a Sapphire r9 380x around when they first came out.

It has died, what should I be looking for to replace it? I realize new video cards are coming soon. Is there going to be something in the <$200 price bracket that will be able to play Overwatch, BF4/BF1, Dark Souls 3, and Doom at high to max settings at 1920x1080.

What should I do? Thanks!

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

It has died, what should I be looking for to replace it? I realize new video cards are coming soon. Is there going to be something in the <$200 price bracket that will be able to play Overwatch, BF4/BF1, Dark Souls 3, and Doom at high to max settings at 1920x1080.

You are just going to get speculation right now. We will know where things stand at the end of the month. Just wait a couple weeks.

Also did you try contracting them to see if you can get a replacement. That is still a new card

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
AMD's Polaris is just around the corner. Latest rumors indicate June 1st launch in Macau. Whether it's a paper launch or not, we don't know. But my best guess is you'll probably be able to order new cards in a month or so.

Polaris 10 targets mainstream, so it should fit your budget. If you can I would definitely wait.

Mar 10, 2006

This thing has got to be under warranty...right?

If not, hit up the used market for a GTX 970/980. People are dumping these like mad after the 1070/1080 announcements, so you should be able to get something good for around $200.

subtraction

Nov 22, 2009
Should still be under Warranty, no?

Sapphires warranty seemed like a total pita. Sooo I just returned it to Microcenter and got my money back. So for now I am just using Intels onboard graphics until I get my hands on a replacement gpu.

Mar 10, 2006
Sapphires warranty seemed like a total pita. Sooo I just returned it to Microcenter and got my money back. So for now I am just using Intels onboard graphics until I get my hands on a replacement gpu.

Ah gotcha. How urgently do you want to get to gaming? Can you wait a month or so with the integrated or do you need something now?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
If you can wait, use Intel Hd graphics. If is Haswell/Skylake, you won't have any problem

nVIDIA fans wold say to go after the Founders edition of GTX 1080, but people who really are gamers will wait until the good chips appears and the best editions of the cards appears. Similar with Polaris 10.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

They have a 2 year warranty, and as far as RMAs go, they are pretty easy with them.
I am wondering how the card died, what symptoms did you see?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Is there going to be something in the <$200 price bracket that will be able to play Overwatch, BF4/BF1, Dark Souls 3, and Doom at high to max settings at 1920x1080.

Fire sale GTX970, R9 390 cards and 2nd tier Polaris 10 are the most likely candidates. Doom favours NV cards a lot at the moment so if you are planning to play that a lot, considered a 970 once they start dropping a lot.

selni

Oct 24, 2013
Fire sale GTX970, R9 390 cards and 2nd tier Polaris 10 are the most likely candidates. Doom favours NV cards a lot at the moment so if you are planning to play that a lot, considered a 970 once they start dropping a lot.

R390 should handle doom fine at 1080p after the recent driver fix by the looks. Nvidia cards still have an advantage for whatever reason but it performs well enough that it probably doesn't matter.

subtraction

Nov 22, 2009
They have a 2 year warranty, and as far as RMAs go, they are pretty easy with them.
I am wondering how the card died, what symptoms did you see?

I started to get some light artifacts and screen tearing in BF4 when moving quickly. I figured it was just a glitch with the game but one day it got progressively worse and in the course of a day the video card just stopped outputting any video signal at all.

Ive tried every remedy I could think of but it just kept coming back to a faulty gpu. Since I have removed it I have been using the i5 6500's on-board graphics. And while its fine for general web browsing and what not, I am definitely not able to play any games at all.

I suppose im just going to wait it out until AMD's new gpu's come out. Really hoping there is something in the <$250 price bracket that will give me R9 390 or better performance.