R9 290x g10 [h75] cooking issue.

Tooreth0

Jan 18, 2016
I have had this set up for a while, and have not checked my temps sense I installed and recently decided to check while playing fallout 4. I was getting about 80c and I freaked out.

I am still having really high temps after everything I have tried [listed below]. Idling at 45 and getting up to 80c in unigine heaven.

So my question is what is up, do I need a copper shim, or maybe my pump is dead/dying, or is the h75 just not strong enough with a 120mm rad?

So to explain my setup:
I have a r9 290x ref
G10 watercooling adapter
H75 water cooler
Pump is plugged into a molex to fan adapter
Radiator has push pull config, pushing air out of case
The pump makes a clicking noise whenever it gets under load, but one of the tubes going to radiator is hot while the other is not, leading me to believe the pump is working.

Things I have tried:
Redone thermal paste/tried different thermal paste (mx-4 and arctic silver 5) both coming up with same temps. Mx-4 was just bought within the week, as5 I have had for about a year

Re-mounted [several times] the pump.

I am currently looking at two options:
1) ripping the square metal bracket that is around the gpu off, making sure the pump is making good contact or getting a shim to put between the gpu and pump

2)getting another h75 and replacing the one I have now.

Of course any other solutions or input are welcomed.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
If one tube is hot and other not, you are not getting good fluid movement. The water should be in equilibrium in a water cooling loop with good flow.

I had such a setup for CF R290s with 2 x 120mm AIO and they ran beautifully. With Zip ties, not even the g10 mount.

Tooreth0

Jan 18, 2016
If one tube is hot and other not, you are not getting good fluid movement. The water should be in equilibrium in a water cooling loop with good flow.

I had such a setup for CF R290s with 2 x 120mm AIO and they ran beautifully. With Zip ties, not even the g10 mount.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was under the assumption the tube taking the water that cooled the processor in turn heating the water would indeed make it hot, but I see what you mean.

If it were pumping correctly then the water should be cool, because then the processor on the gfx card would be cool.

Is the only way to fix this with a aio is get another unit?

Feb 19, 2009
80C isn't too bad but your water in the loop would be ~70C in the first tube, which is high..

Hopefully your AIO is still under warranty. And yes, pumps can sometimes fail and a spike in temps and un-even loop heat is the result.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Sounds like the pump is dying. I'd replace it before it gets any worse. As Silverforce says, the fluid in the loop should maintain an even temp. Not noticeably cooler going in and hotter coming out. Your flow is badly restricted if that's the case.

Edit: Is your rad placed above your card? If it's not you can end up with air in the pump.

Tooreth0

Jan 18, 2016
Sounds like the pump is dying. I'd replace it before it gets any worse. As Silverforce says, the fluid in the loop should maintain an even temp. Not noticeably cooler going in and hotter coming out. Your flow is badly restricted if that's the case.

Edit: Is your rad placed above your card? If it's not you can end up with air in the pump.

Yes, it is above the card. I will buy another h75 and get it in asap, and respond back to the thread with my findings.
Unfortunately it is not under warranty, but 75 dollars isnt terribly bad for a replacement part, better than buying a new gfx card

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Check the flatness on the H75. I had an H55 I tried mounting on my 290, and it didn't work worth crap. The base of the H55 was extremely convex, and made terrible contact with the die. Do you have a way of verifying the temperature of the tubes with something a little more accurate? Even a failing pump shouldn't have a massive difference in temperatures.

Last edited:

Tooreth0

Jan 18, 2016
Check the flatness on the H75. I had an H55 I tried mounting on my 290, and it didn't work worth crap. The base of the H55 was extremely convex, and made terrible contact with the die. Do you have a way of verifying the temperature of the tubes with something a little more accurate? Even a failing pump shouldn't have a massive difference in temperatures.

I have looked at the bottom of the h75 and it seemed flat, I can check the temps tomorrow with my multimeter (has a temp probe as well) so I will do that before changing out to the new h75

Update 0: Checked the temps on the tubes, after playing a game of rocket league to warm up, and while it was sitting idle the tube temps were 26.11c and 23.66c and gpuz reported 41c as my gfx temp. While benchmarking in unigine the tubes were 32c and 28c and gpuz reported 81c as my temp

Update 1: I installed the new H75, and its working wonderfully. idle temp is 34c, while under full load in unigine heaven the highest I seen from GPU-Z was 45c, cutting my temps almost in half. Seems like it was the pump after all. Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited: