R9 290, which manufacture is the best?

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
Im in a big dilemma about deciding which brand should i get for my r9 290, please do not suggest any other model as i only mentioned is r9 290, that was my final decision.
my target are MSI r9 290 gaming, Sapphire r9 290 tri-x, and Asus r9 290 DCUII (havent reach MY). I dont mind waitting for the stock

prefer speed, (i dont know which one is better whether core clock or memory clock), i dont mind about noise and temp. my speaker and room temp are beast to fight those

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I would go with the Tri-X Sapphire myself. Every review (That I have seen) has been very happy with it from both a cooling and noise standpoint.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Sapphire Tri-X is the best. ASUS (after their heatsink revision) is also apparently very good. Both cards are quiet when gaming.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
If you don't mind waiting, shopblt hasn't jacked their prices on AMD cards.

Maverickbcp

Nov 7, 2013
If you don't mind waiting, shopblt hasn't jacked their prices on AMD cards.

True but I've been waiting since Dec. 12th for my order on Shopblt.com. First the Sapphire branded cards after a month of waiting were pulled from their site and a week later they canceled that part of my order as they weren't receiving any more of them. Now the MSI branded ones have been pulled from their site and I'm expecting a cancellation on those as well. I have every other brand they offer on my order and it'll be two months of waiting before their next "ETA" shipment date that always comes/goes and gets pushed back. Not holding my breath. Wish I knew this would've happened as I would've paid the premium elsewhere and have made up the price difference by now.

Maverickbcp

Nov 7, 2013
Of course as soon as I say that one of the XFX Black Edition cards come in stock and are shipping to me. Paying extra for a puny factory overclock isn't what I would normally do but it's still way cheaper than other sites prices. 6-7 weeks of waiting and my place in line finally came up lol.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Of course as soon as I say that one of the XFX Black Edition cards come in stock and are shipping to me. Paying extra for a puny factory overclock isn't what I would normally do but it's still way cheaper than other sites prices. 6-7 weeks of waiting and my place in line finally came up lol.

Cool! Too bad you had to wait like that. I hope it's everything you are hoping it will be.

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
after doing so many reviews, i can see the tri-x has more good response from other expert. waitting for more review on msi and asus.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
after doing so many reviews, i can see the tri-x has more good response from other expert. waitting for more review on msi and asus.

My Sapphire Tri-X run about 10C-15C cooler than my MSI Gaming 4G at the same noise level. Even more if it is the top card in crossfire. MSI isn't as good at cooling as the other two.

NirHahs

Jan 1, 2014
My Sapphire Tri-X run about 10C-15C cooler than my MSI Gaming 4G at the same noise level. Even more if it is the top card in crossfire. MSI isn't as good at cooling as the other two.

well, im waitting for asus review :rolleyes:

Tmf

Jan 15, 2014
Sapphire Tri-X gets my vote. Great aesthetic and performance.

Last edited:

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
My MSI card with Extreme 3d Mark 2013, extreme settings mostly 50-70C or so, mostly sub 70C. So I don't know how it doesn't cool well. My CPU infact crossed 80C with H100i, but the GPU was mostly 50s and 60s.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I would definitely give PowerColor a shot especially if a PCS+ model was available.