R9 290 Price Rant

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
4 left when I just posted this. Either nobody wants them or they are adding more stock....Simulated panic buy?

Don't think that card was ever $400

At launch I planned to wait on non-ref design for CF, was planning to pay ~$30 more per card. Never happened due to supply/demand (craze). Hundreds of dollars over that plan, I sit on 780Ti SLI. Oh well..

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
At launch I planned to wait on non-ref design for CF, was planning to pay ~$30 more per card. Never happened due to supply/demand (craze). Hundreds of dollars over that plan, I sit on 780Ti SLI. Oh well..

That sucks! Being forced to buy a NVidia product to me is like buying a Apple offering....Not going to happen. :)

mar4356

Oct 19, 2011
I have noticed amazon has had more 290's in stock as of late...still at crazy prices of course. I nabbed an asus r9 290 for 463 through some luck. Just happened to visit the site late at night and snatched it up. I bought it for gaming

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
That sucks! Being forced to buy a NVidia product to me is like buying a Apple offering....Not going to happen. :)

I've had both over the years buying whichever gives me the best price/performance. Honestly the only noticeable difference is where you download your drivers from.

Edit. 1 Left.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
I pre-ordered when they first game out for 399 and I was recommending the card to a friend and he brought to my attention $600!?!? Are you crazy!?

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011
Exactly, I don't see Amazon and Best Buy raising prices over MSRP on PS4s because those consoles were selling out as fast as they could get them. This was Newegg setting a precedent that other etailers followed.

Yep. Sometimes I use their site for their search feature but now I try to buy from anywhere else. This issue in addition to others convinced me that I don't like the way they do business so I don't patronize them anymore, simple as that.

Can you imagine how pissed off customers would be if stores decided to mark up the price of the latest Playstation 50% or more the day after release because they were selling out?

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
This bitching is just meh...

I dropped $600 for Sapphire tri-x. Card works. Will it drop in price? Probably.

Even if it is $450 soon, I don't care as $150 isn't that much to lose my sleep.

It is just a GPU people, either you need it or you don't. Get a life and stop crying over few bucks.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
This bitching is just meh...

I dropped $600 for Sapphire tri-x. Card works. Will it drop in price? Probably.

Even if it is $450 soon, I don't care as $150 isn't that much to lose my sleep.

It is just a GPU people, either you need it or you don't. Get a life and stop crying over few bucks.

290 or 290x?

My thought was, why pay more for a card when the price increase does not carry extra performance versus its release price.

Picked up a 780 ACX for $430.

Might look at R9 290 in a few more months.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Can you imagine how pissed off customers would be if stores decided to mark up the price of the latest Playstation 50% or more the day after release because they were selling out?

not sure if that would be better than the people who walk into a store, buy up all the stock, then go out the front and hawk the recently bought items for a 50% mark up (on second hand goods).

(or ebay it for a marked up price).

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
My thought was, why pay more for a card when the price increase does not carry extra performance versus its release price.

I use to think that, but then when a card I wanted came out, it went to 50% more than rrp in a week. I had placed a order at the lower price, but when the store got more in at a higher price, the card was sold at the higher price and I was left waiting. I gave up after two weeks of waiting. If I had just gone looking around I might have gotten the card for a 10% increase on the day instead of waiting.

Though in this case, for this card, the price did not get to the initial rrp for 6 months.

It sucked paying more, but not having a working computer was far worse.

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011
not sure if that would be better than the people who walk into a store, buy up all the stock, then go out the front and hawk the recently bought items for a 50% mark up (on second hand goods).

(or ebay it for a marked up price).

The store could always make a policy of "one per customer" to at least make it more difficult to do that.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
What you are asking for is the marketplace to artificially keep prices down through rationing. Not going to happen.