R9 290 Freezing Windows 7

Onehate

Mar 25, 2011
So I tried trading out video cards, from ATI R6870 to a R9 290.

With the R6870 everything ran great. I unplugged the 6870, uninstalled the drivers using DDU utility. Rebooted, the
hooked up the new R9 290. I installed the latest ATI drivers for it and everything looked good. After about running for
20 minutes or soo the whole computer will freeze.

I am running Windows 7, and I have been watching the temp of the card, nothing unusual there.
No BSOD, just a complete freeze. With a reboot everything looks good then the same thing happens. I was wondering
if anyone had any similar issues or suggestions to fix this?

I have flashed the motherboard with the latest BIOS and still having the issue.

Here is my MOBO and processor..

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Well I have a Thermaltake laying around, can I test with this?

That's more than plenty of power on each 12V rail assuming it is functioning properly. I'd test it on that, continued problems would mean it's probably the card or the motherboard.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Looks like twin rails at 18A each on the 12V, may struggle with the high power load on the R290. Most of that PSU's rated power come via the 5V rails.

Actually has four 12v rails. I do think one single 12v rail is best though.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Op, what driver did you install?

There have been reports of funny business regarding Cat 14.9 and 14.9.1.

If you are using one of these, try an older one.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
DDU is said to cause issues or even the need to do a full install.

Maybe reinstall MB drivers?

You did the .net update(s) that is required with Win7? Link should be on AMD driver page.

Maybe windows restore to date prior to using DDU will help.

Seeing how your running all AMD hardware maybe using the uninstall all option with the driver isn't the best option...Hmm

Onehate

Mar 25, 2011

You did the .net update(s) that is required with Win7? Link should be on AMD driver page.

Seeing how your running all AMD hardware maybe using the uninstall all option with the driver isn't the best option...Hmm

Well the first time I went about i let Windows 7 handle the drivers. I then uninstalled everything and ran DDU.

Is there a better way to clean out drivers on Windows 7?

Well i tried the other power supply.. It did about the same thing, ran for 10 to 30 minutes then the screen went black, unresponsive reboot required.

I will check on those .net updates, have not done that yet, also rolling back the drivers, maybe to 13.3?

I have read it might be an issue with the motherboard also.

I have tested this card out on another PC build and it runs just fine on that computer... no issues.

Onehate

Mar 25, 2011

Well the first time I went about i let Windows 7 handle the drivers. I then uninstalled everything and ran DDU.

Well i tried the other power supply.. It did about the same thing, ran for 10 to 30 minutes then the screen went black, unresponsive reboot required.

I will check on those .net updates, have not done that yet, also rolling back the drivers, maybe to 13.3?

I have tested this card out on another PC build and it runs just fine on that computer... no issues.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Leaning towards the r9 290's don't like some older chipsets...Unfortunately yours looks to one of them.

The following or similar quotes look to pop up in just about all of the threads related to your current MB and r9 290's hard freezing the OS.

This issue is widely reported on AMD 700 and 800 series chipsets, as well as some older Intel boards. As far as I'm aware, neither AMD nor any motherboard/GPU OEMS have admitted any fault. Speculation I've seen includes the R9 290 pulling too much power through the PCI-Express slot, and general incompatibility with PCI-E 2.0 or lower. But honestly no one really knows the reason.

Stability can be improved somewhat by moving the card to an x8 slot (if possible), tweaking the PCI-E clock (be very careful with this) and raising any relevant miscellaneous voltages. I have not yet found a combination of settings that gives more than 24 hours stability, and from extensive research I've not found any reports of success.

From what I've observed, the freezes only occur under certain usage patterns. Intensive games almost never crash, whereas lighter games such as League of Legends and desktop usage freeze regularly.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is that you need a newer motherboard for the R9 290 to work correctly.

I did see this following post that seemed to work for him. No mention of the source of the suggestion or if there were any others that seemed to work.

This is actually an issue spread across all AMD 700/800 series chipsets (this motherboard features the 800). So far one of the suggestions was to bump PCI-E clocks to the 140 to 150mhz range. For me I had to hit it in between, I'm currently sitting at 144mhz and the card has yet to freeze. So try playing with the PCI-E clocks. Look up "r9 290 140mhz freeze" or "r9 290 800 freeze" we're not alone with this problem here people.