R9 290 Direct CUII wont boot after driver install

Hexadecimator

Mar 21, 2014
Hi there

I recently purchased the ASUS Direct CU II OC edition R9 290. I made sure to remove all previous display drivers, using the display driver uninstaller. I plugged in my new graphics card and it booted fine, although the screen had weird lines all over it. I then installed AMD CCC 13.2, however when the PC rebooted it would get to the windows logo and then go to a black screen straight after. I tried rebooting again and it did the same thing.

I then went into safe mode, uninstalled CCC and reinstalled 13.1. Same problem. I've also tried the latest beta drives 14.2. Nothing seems to fix the problem.

I'm using a 650w PSU and have my monitor connected via HDMI

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
If you can, get the thing on a new OS install for trial. I'd also recommend digging around at anything vid card BIOS related when you are looking into this. This card should have a bios switch you can toggle, i'd try in it's other position.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forum :)

Maybe defective? Kind of sounds like it to me....The weird lines remark.

Did you try reseating the card and double checking the power connections yet?

Purchased new or used?

Hexadecimator

Mar 21, 2014
Do you really think a fresh install will help? I've got loads of stuff on my computer currently and wiping it would be a pain? Also I cant seem to see a bios switch on my graphics card, do you have any idea where it would be?

Yeah, I have an eight pin connector and a six pin connect both plugged into it. Although the eight pin seems to be a six pin with a two pin clip on attachment thing.

It was purchased new from amazon!

Would it help if included a picture of the lines?

Thanks!

Spanners

Mar 16, 2014
Do you really think a fresh install will help? I've got loads of stuff on my computer currently and wiping it would be a pain? Also I cant seem to see a bios switch on my graphics card, do you have any idea where it would be?

Yeah, I have an eight pin connector and a six pin connect both plugged into it. Although the eight pin seems to be a six pin with a two pin clip on attachment thing.

It was purchased new from amazon!

Would it help if included a picture of the lines?

Thanks!

Can't hurt to put up a pic.

Lines sound like memory issues (well I get crazy lines when I OC my 290 memory too much) Is there display corruption in safe mode or only once the drivers are loaded?

Might be long shots but you could try another HDMI cable (or DVI/DP) and reset the bios on your motherboard. Also check there is no OCing software (Afterburner etc.) running still from previous card?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290_directcuii_oc_review,3.html
^^ Last picture in that link shows the Bios switch location. If the main BIOS is corrupt this may help as the second BIOS is just a fail-safe on that card.

Split 8 pin (6+2) is normal.

Do you have an old HDD you could use for a fresh install, just for testing?

Good luck.

Last edited:

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Don't wipe a good system drive. Just install on a spare drive if possible to check.

Just an idea, I wouldn't put yourself out to do this unless it's just a spare drive and quick OS load in about an hour or so.

Hexadecimator

Mar 21, 2014
Hi again,

Thanks for all the ideas but I have tried everything and still the same problem. I've used a completely different HDD and installed a fresh version of windows, still the same problem. I've also changed the bios switch.

http://imgur.com/wp9xOCy

^^Thats a picture of what the screen looks like, sorry for the bad quality!

Do you think I should contact amazon and return my card?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
What you describe is almost word for word my experience with one of my Gigabyte 290X OC's. The card turned out to be DOA and had to be replaced.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Do you have a UEFI motherboard? Is your GPU a UEFI BIOS? Note that this is important. If one is UEFI and the other isn't, hello problems. Also, try a different output other than HDMI.

If you tried switching the BIOS, and it sounds like you have, then i'd just RMA it to amazon for a refund.