R600 Rumored to have yield problems

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
vr-zone has been Nviida invaded. Look at the adds on the webpage. 3 out 5 are Nvidia's adds.

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
How very unsurprising.

IF they've moved to 65nm then the yields are bound to be pretty pants for a chip as complex as R600.

I reckon the delay is the compounded effect of first of all a problem with 80nm hence the move to 65nm. They then guesstimated a release date which was too optimistic due to poor yields with the 65nm process.

The second delay gave them the chance to at least stockpile some so that when they DO finally launch it won't be a complete paper launch.

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
I missed the 3dmark scores... well, with a diff of just 200 odd points, it's not seeming to impressive... They say that drivers still need work - well, the same can be said for the 8800's.

Considering the card has 1GB DDR4, 512 bit memory interface and a 800MHz clock, I would have expected a hell of a lot more from it.

It must be kind of embarrassing with all the delays and all they can show with what should be impressive specs is a 200 point 3d mark benefit..

A554SS1N

May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: chrismr
I missed the 3dmark scores... well, with a diff of just 200 odd points, it's not seeming to impressive... They say that drivers still need work - well, the same can be said for the 8800's.

Considering the card has 1GB DDR4, 512 bit memory interface and a 800MHz clock, I would have expected a hell of a lot more from it.

It must be kind of embarrassing with all the delays and all they can show with what should be impressive specs is a 200 point 3d mark benefit..

You never know, inital reports may be nowhere near optimised performance, so it's still possible it might be quite a bit faster, just not as ultra mega as some people are expecting.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
DAAMIT is simply leaking FUD like crazy to keep NVDA totally confused.

The world will experience a "9700 PRO" re-born in the coming weeks I have the feeling.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Moving to a new process for a new card is always a bad idea. NVIDIA's first 65nm cards are going to be from the 7 series, so they can work out the kinks. I thought this was why the 1800 series was late and what kinda screwed the FX line.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Every time I hear news about the R600, I like my 8800 just that little bit more....
QFT!

If it comes to 1 day left til my step up goes out of date and there is no 8900gtx, i will buy a 8800gtx :(

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

The world will experience a "9700 PRO" re-born in the coming weeks I have the feeling.
We already saw that 5 months ago with G80.

R600 looks to be a competitive part though, which is the good news. Only problem is 1) its late and 2) its still not available. Best thing ATI could've done though was to leak some performance numbers. At least we know the chip itself isn't a dud, we can attribute its delay to yield problems.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic. Everything is completely the opposite of the 9700Pro.

The 9700Pro was released much earlier than the FX series
The performance and IQ were revolutionary

So far the R600 is following the same exact path as the FX series.

Late
Reports of yield problems
Inconsistent reports of benchmarks, which, in some cases, have it barely beat the 8800's.

I have a few comments on this:
1. Nvidia better get off their asses and release their Mid-Range cards while ATI is still out of it

2. Nvidia, while I can see that they are working very hard on their drivers, needs to begin to show more progress than they have.

3. ATI needs to get with the game. Stop leaking specs, stop trying to confuse people, stop saying how great it is, and just plain release it. Right now they have a lot to live up to, if they don't live up to every bit of it, they better be ready for a LOT of scrutiny.

-Kevin

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
Every time I hear news about the R600, I like my 8800 just that little bit more....

Rollo is that you? lol ;)
Actually I have an 8800GTS and I agree with him. I've been called an ATI 'fanboy' before. :p :Q

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005

Yet everytime I see how the graphical quality is noticeably nicer with ATi cards in-game, I hesitate to grab an 8800 knowing that I can hold out a couple more months to see what ATi will bring to the table.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: yacoub

Yet everytime I see how the graphical quality is noticeably nicer with ATi cards in-game, I hesitate to grab an 8800 knowing that I can hold out a couple more months to see what ATi will bring to the table.

Are you serious?

Everything I have read says G80's IQ is a bar above ATI's in every way.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Matt2

Are you serious?

my friend has a x1950 pro, and my 8800gts has the better textures and graphics

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan
Originally posted by: Matt2

Are you serious?

my friend has a x1950 pro, and my 8800gts has the better textures and graphics

That's what I thought. I dont know of yacoub is still comparing X1900 series cards vs GeForce 7 series cards, but G80 set the bar extremely high on both IQ and performance .

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Yes 7900-series. If 8800-series has actually changed that I would be very suprised (and happy). Now if only they could get some solid drivers out for it...

NVidia's IQ has consistantly been lower since at least the ATi 9700Pro days.

Just one small case in point that is very recent showing it's still true:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6166198/p-5.html

I went from an X800XL to my current 7900GT and it was VERY obvious from first boot with the 9700GT that the IQ was not quite the same no matter what settings I used for the 7900GT.

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007

I have had enough of both cards and while the ATI cards have been better in the past, you would generally only notice the diff when doing side-by-side comparisons.

And the 8800's have improved substantially in image quality. I doubt the R600's will look any better (but of course, I could be wrong)

And this is coming from someone who has generally preferred ATI in the past.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Yes 7900-series. If 8800-series has actually changed that I would be very suprised (and happy). Now if only they could get some solid drivers out for it...

NVidia's IQ has consistantly been lower since at least the ATi 9700Pro days.

Just one small case in point that is very recent showing it's still true:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6166198/p-5.html

I went from an X800XL to my current 7900GT and it was VERY obvious from first boot with the 9700GT that the IQ was not quite the same no matter what settings I used for the 7900GT.

Nvidia's G80 drivers are known to have rendering problems in some games. But this is attributed to driver issues, not hardware IQ deficiencies.

I agree with you that ATI's image quality was far superior to Nvidia's pre G80, but G80 has the overall IQ crown now. G80's AF is superior to even ATI's HQ AF.

I challenge you to find one unbiased review that says any ATI cards IQ is better than that G80's.of

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
That's good to hear! Thank you :)

I have been considering picking up a 320MB GTS this summer, possibly sooner. Knowing IQ is better would certainly make it a more comfortable purchase before R600 comes out.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
That's good to hear! Thank you :)

I have been considering picking up a 320MB GTS this summer, possibly sooner. Knowing IQ is better would certainly make it a more comfortable purchase before R600 comes out.

Cool.

You dont have anything to worry about with G80 IQ aside from driver bugs, which are slowly (but surely) getting resolved.

To quote Ratchet from Rage3D in his G80 review:

looks better, goes faster.