R/C Cars...?

dennisjai215

Banned
Apr 16, 2004
i've seen some people have them R/C cars that goes really fast... i was wondering where do you buy them...
i THINK some of them claimed that they go 60mph

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
I used to be into it a long time ago. The ones that go 60mph are 1/8 scale on-road gas cars, which are also some of the most expensive.

A lot of people start off with 1/10 scale electric off-road (buggies or trucks); 1/10 scale gas off-road trucks are also pretty popular. If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, try off-road first. It can be a lot cheaper than the on-road scene.

Take a look at Tower Hobbies

Also, go to your local newsstand and pick up an issue of Radio Controlled Car Action. It's the best magazines for R/C cars.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Towerhobbies is one of many.
I got myself a Kyosho Inferno MP7.5 Kanai III. :)

It hauls major @ss. :D

holy shlt thats a costly car (from memory) something like 650 just for the frame and body no engine, or remote.

i want it though.

MIKE

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Shooters
I used to be into it a long time ago. The ones that go 60mph are 1/8 scale on-road gas cars, which are also some of the most expensive.

A lot of people start off with 1/10 scale electric off-road (buggies or trucks); 1/10 scale gas off-road trucks are also pretty popular. If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, try off-road first. It can be a lot cheaper than the on-road scene.

Also, go to your local newsstand and pick up an issue of Radio Controlled Car Action. It's the best magazines for R/C cars.

Nah, they have cheap 1/10 scale cars that can hit 50. Heck, the one I bought like 6 years ago does 50 and it was about $300. I'm sure there's plenty of cheaper kits out now. Just don't expect a big name like Tamiya/HPI/Kyosho, etc.

EDIT: http://www.hobbypeople.net That's my local hobby shop and where I bought all my cars (well, the ones I bought new anyway)

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket

Nah, they have cheap 1/10 scale cars that can hit 50. Heck, the one I bought like 6 years ago does 50 and it was about $300. I'm sure there's plenty of cheaper kits out now. Just don't expect a big name like Tamiya/HPI/Kyosho, etc.

EDIT: http://www.hobbypeople.net That's my local hobby shop and where I bought all my cars (well, the ones I bought new anyway)

can't image what would happen if you hit something with it at full speed.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: toant103

depends on the car, some will just break an a-arm, some will do different things.

MIKE

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Towerhobbies is one of many.
I got myself a Kyosho Inferno MP7.5 Kanai III. :)

It hauls major @ss. :D

holy shlt thats a costly car (from memory) something like 650 just for the frame and body no engine, or remote.

i want it though.

MIKE

I think I spend ~$1300 just to get it going but it's worth every cent. :D I put almost 3 gallons of fuel through the engine now.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1

depends on the car, some will just break an a-arm, some will do different things.

MIKE

I have a 1/10 off-road electric that I have owned for about 10 years. I purchased the frame used, so it is probably 12-15 years old. In that time I have driven it off a 2nd story roof (landed more or less flat), ramed it into concrete walls at full speed, run it at an angle into chain link fence (a real killer), etc. In that time I have broken 1 pair of a-arms. That's it.

I actually just pulled it out of a box after 5 years or so, and the thing still runs. It couls use a new motor, but is otherwise in fine shape. I will probably just grab one at a local shop in a few weeks.

Also, 1 suggestion. If you buy one, get a single-layer frame. I've run across a couple of the cheap (<$85) models that use 2 layers for the chassis. If you have to disassemble the unit, this will add a significant ammount of time (and it will already take a long time).

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Also, does anyone have any suggestions on electric motors in the sub-$45 range (i'm going to be playing around, not racing)?

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Tret
If it's going to be a Monster Truck get a T-maxx.

heh, monster trucks. You might as well pick up something from Radio Shack if you want to go that route.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

heh, monster trucks. You might as well pick up something from Radio Shack if you want to go that route.

wtf. are you talking about.

MIKE

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

you win the clueless award for the week

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003

http://www.teamcombustion.com/media.htm

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on electric motors in the sub-$45 range (i'm going to be playing around, not racing)?

The Trinity Speed Gems series is well liked.

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: dennisjai215
i've seen some people have them R/C cars that goes really fast... i was wondering where do you buy them...
i THINK some of them claimed that they go 60mph

You'll be thining of the Schmacher XTR which is seriously, seriously fast. Not much ground clearance though so I's suggest going for something a little slower but with massive clearance.

Look for a monster truck of 1/10 or 1/8 scale, must have 4WD and a minimum of a .15 engine for the 1/10 or a .21 for the 1/8 scale beast. Bringing the power to the front wheels must be a shaft, avoid belts.

The T-Maxx is pretty good, but shop around... there are some out there with dual .21 engines *droools*

oh and certainly avoid on-road cars: they're boring unless you specifically race them on a track. Got to be off road every time.