R/C car people, what do you think of the Loi 8ight 1/8th scale buggy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
The RG is a good engine and works great for short tight tracks. It's not a high rpm screamer and got lots of torque down low. I've ran 2 of them into the ground muself and at the local track it's just as good as any $300 mill.

I'll post a great package for you later tonight. I'm heading out for food. :D

been a long ass dinner.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MorphineChild
I have a Thunder Tiger EB4 that has been great, unfortunately I don't have time to run it. A couple years ago this model was one of the better ones. I switched from a smaller Kyosho electric car to this nitro car, and wow what a difference! Only downside to the 1/8th Nitro cars is the durability, there is much more mass and velocity, so if you hit something wrong something is going to give.

I have to disagree on the durability. It's extremely durable.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
The RG is a good engine and works great for short tight tracks. It's not a high rpm screamer and got lots of torque down low. I've ran 2 of them into the ground muself and at the local track it's just as good as any $300 mill.

I'll post a great package for you later tonight. I'm heading out for food. :D

been a long ass dinner.

Yeah, we needed some beers too. I'm back working on the list. :D

MorphineChild

Aug 10, 2001
I have a Thunder Tiger EB4 that has been great, unfortunately I don't have time to run it. A couple years ago this model was one of the better ones. I switched from a smaller Kyosho electric car to this nitro car, and wow what a difference! Only downside to the 1/8th Nitro cars is the durability, there is much more mass and velocity, so if you hit something wrong something is going to give.

The main drivetrain and structure is durable, the the suspension and steering components that come stock are not, at least on the EB4. That is why companies like Ergal step up and make a lot stronger, a lot more durable components. Sure they are like 2-3 times the price of a stock component, but it will not break.

Aug 16, 2001
OK here is the list:

Car: OFNA Hyper 7 TQ - $220

Engine: OS 21 RG(P) - $110 (Includes this air filter assembly)

Radio: Spectrum DX3 incl one extra Rx and 2 servos - $250. Use the Hi torque Z590 for throttle and toss the other and get the Futaba S3305 for steering ($35)

Starterbox: OFNA 10249 w/ 12V 7Ah battery and power panel - $90

Oils:
3000wt front diff oil - $8.60 + 5000wt center diff oil - $8.60 + 1000wt rear diff oil - $8.60
Trinity 45wt shock oil (front) - $3.40 + Trinity 40wt shock oil (rear) - $3.40

Batteries:
2 x 6V 2000mAh hump back for receiver - $25
24 Pcs AA 2500mAh for transmitter - $28
You will need to add a charger of choice.

Adds up to $790. Add a few bucks here and there for tools and battery chargers if you don't have any. With a charger and decent tools you'll end up at around $950.

It's not cheap but for someone starting from scratch this is probably the cheapest QUALITY parts you can get away with.
Besides this you need to add money for running expenses such as cleaning supplies, more airfilter oil and airfilters. Fuel, glow plugs, more tires, spare cllutch shoes and springs...... fuel and spare parts. The list goes on and on but it's great fun.

Aug 16, 2001

The main drivetrain and structure is durable, the the suspension and steering components that come stock are not, at least on the EB4. That is why companies like Ergal step up and make a lot stronger, a lot more durable components. Sure they are like 2-3 times the price of a stock component, but it will not break.

I agree to some extent. The Kyosho has been durable as hell. I always keep 2 sets of front + rear arms + a few bulkheads minimum but now I just bring a complete spare car to take parts from or race depending on the extent of the damage.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

I agree to some extent. The Kyosho has been durable as hell. I always keep 2 sets of front + rear arms + a few bulkheads minimum but now I just bring a complete spare car to take parts from or race depending on the extent of the damage.

is there a kyosho comparable to the ofna? i know ofna's are good, but i would still like to start out with a nice chasis. and ive heard kyoshos are great/were great.

Aug 16, 2001
The OFNA Hyper 8 is a new very nice car. Another option is the Jammin X1-CR.
OFNA is the distributor of HoBao (Hyper series) and HongNor.

Go to www.ofna.com for more info.

Aug 16, 2001
Maybe I misunderstood your question. You're looking for a Kyosho equivalent to OFNA?
That question is kind of wrong to start with since OFNA is only a US distributoir of HoBao and HongNor which have many models. Kyosho offers basically one 1/8 buggy now and that's the MP777 and MP777 SP2. They do have a RTR kit based on the older MP7.5 platform and you should stay away from that kit.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Maybe I misunderstood your question. You're looking for a Kyosho equivalent to OFNA?
That question is kind of wrong to start with since OFNA is only a US distributoir of HoBao and HongNor which have many models. Kyosho offers basically one 1/8 buggy now and that's the MP777 and MP777 SP2. They do have a RTR kit based on the older MP7.5 platform and you should stay away from that kit.

okay, the MP777 and mp 777 SP2 were what i was looking for, but they are quite expensive comparably.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Team Losi is great for racing, but if you want a back yard beater, you could get something cheaper.

Team Losi FTW (Used to race XX-CR, XXT-CR, XX4, XXX-CR, XXX-NT, XXX-S)

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
If I were getting an 1/8th scale, I'd probably get either the XB8TQ or the new Hyper 8 (supposed to be loads better than the previous OFNA buggies).

I'd look at the Kyosho, but I can't get over the phillips screws. I know I could replace them myself, but eff that.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: jbourne77
If I were getting an 1/8th scale, I'd probably get either the XB8TQ or the new Hyper 8 (supposed to be loads better than the previous OFNA buggies).

I'd look at the Kyosho, but I can't get over the phillips screws. I know I could replace them myself, but eff that.

I thought the same thing about the philips screws but after racing for close to 2 years now I've changed opinion.
A philips head full of crud and worn (screws in chassie) is 100 times easier to get out than a hex screw full of crud and worn the same way.

Aug 16, 2001

okay, the MP777 and mp 777 SP2 were what i was looking for, but they are quite expensive comparably.

A top of the line 1/8 scale is expensive. You can't get away from that.
For cheap you got the low end OFNA models but the Hyper 7 TQ kit I listed is a great car.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

A top of the line 1/8 scale is expensive. You can't get away from that.
For cheap you got the low end OFNA models but the Hyper 7 TQ kit I listed is a great car.

i jusst priced out the Ofna hyper 8. and its only about $220 more expensive overall, putting me near 900 total.

i know i stil have some shock oil, but i foget what weight it is.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
The Hyper 8 is a great car. Sounds like you already got some equipment so my list was a bit long then.

i need a new glowplug warmer, as my old one is dead.

batteries would be nice.
i have the tools, but most everything in our list i would still need.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
Well I dont know about that but atleast it has dura in it :p
And ive had 2 evaders, one nito evader, 1 nitro quake, and 3 mini quakes and have beat the living piss out of them all and kept begging for more so I dont find them to be of bad build at all.

OH and I have also owned HPI, Kyosho, Traxxas, and many other and find duratrax to be up there with them all. But in all fairness you did ask for others opinions.

ive owned HPI, my bro owns a XXX-NT, friends have owned all kinds, including a duratrash, and it was just that, trash. the thing ate gears for breakfast, clutch pads for lunch, and wouldnt shift for dinner.

so you have all the experience of a one rig rc'er and flaming an entire company....

perhaps your friend got a lemon or built something wrong.

I don't RC any more, but 90% of problems I saw were from retards trying to build them. I had one experience when the instructions said use an oil safe for plastics and decided filling it with olive oil? (some kind of food oil) would work.