QX9650 is really cool!

Roy2001

Jun 21, 2001
QX9650 with ASUS ASUS P5E-VM HDMI, 4x1GB OCZ 4-4-4-15 RAM in an Antec NSK2480 HTPC case, Mini Ninja HS ONLY, CPU fan is NOT installed. Stock case fans enabled.

Idle temp is only about 27-28C, 2 cores 30C and 2 cors 50C with H264 playback (25-27% CPU usage), still without CPU fan. Room temperature is about 21C.

[UPDATE} Built a 2nd PC (for friend) based on QX9650, IP35-E, Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler, Crucial Ballistix 2GB 800 CS4, Foxconn 8400GS. BIOS reports 22C while I install the OS.

Considering 3.78W power usage during idle, I don't think temp in BIOS is wrong.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
With all the strange temps shown on these new cores, I wouldn't believe what you see...

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Crank it up - give it the juice (VCORE) and get up to 4+GHz and watch the temps soar like an eagle.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Binky
With all the strange temps shown on these new cores, I wouldn't believe what you see...

Yep, I even question the G0's revision of the Q6600 temperatures. Some of them idle at just above reported room temperature, which is ridiculously improbable. No one really investigates these issues though. Be nice if a hardware site started using their own micro diodes in these things to see if there is truly a heat difference, or if the revision simply changes what is reported.

graysky

Mar 8, 2007
I'm still waiting for someone to put a thin-wire thermocouple between the top of the IHS and the base of the HS on a system to compare the temps.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777

Yep, I even question the G0's revision of the Q6600 temperatures. Some of them idle at just above reported room temperature, which is ridiculously improbable. No one really investigates these issues though. Be nice if a hardware site started using their own micro diodes in these things to see if there is truly a heat difference, or if the revision simply changes what is reported.
I have to say that my attitude is going towards the same way. I've got a Q6600 G0 and running it on 975X, clocked @3.4GHz. Load temp rarely goes past 54~56C with all 4 cores loaded. Well, it's certainly nicer than seeing 70C+, but I don't know if I should believe this temp or not.

Edit: After writing the above it looks like a thread hijacking so on topic - your temp is fantastic, OP. And running it passive, no doubt that the temps are what you're seeing. Can you load it 100% fanless? (no overclocking of course)

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
at stock the qx9650 is ridiculously cold.

with water cooling, it idles at ambient temperature, and it loads about 5C higher than ambient (prime95!!!). it's really quite amazing to watch.

but once you clock it up to 4 GHz and up the voltage, the heat output is exponential. idles around 5C above ambient and and loads around 25C above ambient ;)

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: lopri

I have to say that my attitude is going towards the same way. I've got a Q6600 G0 and running it on 975X, clocked @3.4GHz. Load temp rarely goes past 54~56C with all 4 cores loaded. Well, it's certainly nicer than seeing 70C+, but I don't know if I should believe this temp or not.

It is kind of like religion. Not many people are really interested in researching what they believe. Instead, the take face value and sling it around.

I don't know a lot about microprocessor design, but I do think I have an understanding of heat dissipation and I will attempt to explain why I believe the temperatures cannot really be trusted.

During idle a CPU uses much less power, and therefore generates less heat. During this process only a small fan on the heatsink would be required to dissipate the heat for optimal temperature. Turning the fan to high will not yield better results, because the heat is already being dissipated optimally. However, the minute you turn up the heat by putting the CPU under load, the need to not only asborb the heat goes up, but the need to dissipate it faster is also required, otherwise the chip will become perpetually hotter and will fry itself.

So, let me give two scenarios - now they are made up - be aware, but they should be ballpark figured.

Q6600 B3 Idle = 20 Watts Heat Output

Q6000 G0 IDle = 16 Watts Heat Output

Now, in this scenario, should one expect the the G0 revision to idle cooler? No, not neccessarly. The heat output of both of those is quite low at idle and while the G0 does in fact output less heat, it shouldn't cause temperatures descrepencies that you see here on this forum. If the heat is being dissipated properly, both should idle around the same temperature. Now, one might require the fan to be running at a higher speed (B3) but both have the ability to idle at the same temperature assuming that they are tested in the same environment. The reason this is the case is because when cooling with air, you cannot cool something to a lower temperature than the air you are blowing on it. The best case scenario is being able to cool something to ambient temperature.

But this isn't reasonable for a CPU as you cannot have perfect, metal to metal contact with the Heat Sink and IHS. Even if they were perfect, you then have to have the IHS and the contact with the Cores to contend with. Those are not a perfect fit either and without that perfect fit, you cannot transfer all the heat fom the Cores ---> IHS ---> Heat Sink. So some heat is lost (Not really lost, but just isn't transfered to the Heat Sink) and thus, a running CPU cannot attain ambient temperatures.

So, what really is the deal with the G0's or even the Penryn's for that matter? What possible reason could they be reporting such low idle temperatures?

1) The Diodes in the CPU are not accurate.
2) Some revisions may have poor contact with Core ---> IHS.
3) Some people have poort contact with IHS ---> Heat Sink.
4) Some people just lie.

I personally put more stock into #1 and #2 overall. I think #3 isn't an issue for the vast majority of techs out there and #4 is always an option because people always lie.

Keep in mind for the sake of discussion I am not claiming that a G0 should not run cooler (especially under load). My main point of contention is that they run so much cooler, even under idle (where the delta should be almost non-existant between the B3 and G0) that it seems to be improbable based on their heat output alone. I don't think these things are accurate and I don't think the G0 runs much cooler than a B3. Of course, I can't prove it without testing both and using an independant micro diode. Something I have no plans to do. But I think I have more than enough reason to cast doubt on the G0/Penryn temperature claims.

thoughts?

kkk60091

Jun 28, 2007
I doubt it. I know some early batch of QX have problem with temp reading on cores....
My QX9650 @3.84G @1.280V prime underload reached 65C easily.

Lapped QX9650, Lapped Ultra120 ex, 1 Noctua P12 @1100, 1 Noctua S12 @1100.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Well, notwithstanding the general temp reading issues, I think the OP's temps are quite reasonable and believable. I had a Q6600 B3 which behaved like his QX9650, at its stock speed. (note the clock speed difference) It's definitely possible to run a QX9650 passive in a well ventilated case and maintain a decent temp at its stock speed.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: JAG87

with water cooling, it idles at ambient temperature,
and it loads about 5C higher than ambient (prime95!!!). it's really quite amazing to watch.

but once you clock it up to 4 GHz and up the voltage, the heat output is exponential. idles around 5C above ambient and and loads around 25C above ambient ;)

even at stock speeds & water cooling, it is not possible for any CPU chip to idle at the same temps as the air temperature thats being fed to it, its just not possible.

i'm sure the qx9650 runs cooler than previous intel chips tho

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS

and it loads about 5C higher than ambient (prime95!!!). it's really quite amazing to watch.

even at stock speeds & water cooling, it is not possible for any CPU chip to idle at the same temps as the air temperature thats being fed to it, its just not possible.

your absolutely correct.

nothing in the world is 100% efficent, so if energy is being pushed into it, then it has to leak out some of it in a form of heat.

But what jag means is , it would take a significant amount more for it to make a dent on the water system for it to be visable, which a stock QX cant do at idle.

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: aigomorla

your absolutely correct.

nothing in the world is 100% efficent, so if energy is being pushed into it, then it has to leak out some of it in a form of heat.

But what jag means is , it would take a significant amount more for it to make a dent on the water system for it to be visable, which a stock QX cant do at idle.

Unless it's chilled liquid. ;)

Roy2001

Jun 21, 2001

OK, I build another PC based on a QX9650. Room temp is about 21C, idled for one hour and BIOS report 22C. The HSF is Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm from egg. With Tom's reports 3.78W idle power of QX9650, I am not doubting the 22C temp reported in BIOS.

I have a Q6600 in the same room idle temp is 42C while it was 50-51C during summer with 27C room temp. That is with stock HSF. I just don't have time to install TT120.

Roy2001

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: aigomorla

your absolutely correct.

QX9650 idle power usage is ONLY 3.78W. you can definitely passively cool it, right?

I am not a hardware fan and I do not run any kind of test to stress all 4 cores. But I suspect it is highly possible that the CPU generate a little bit of heat when idle.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Roy2001
QX9650 with ASUS ASUS P5E-VM HDMI, 4x1GB OCZ 4-4-4-15 RAM in an Antec NSK2480 HTPC case, Mini Ninja HS ONLY, CPU fan is NOT installed. Stock case fans enabled.

Idle temp is only about 27-28C, 2 cores 30C and 2 cors 50C with H264 playback (25-27% CPU usage), still without CPU fan. Room temperature is about 21C.

[UPDATE} Built a 2nd PC (for friend) based on QX9650, IP35-E, Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler, Crucial Ballistix 2GB 800 CS4, Foxconn 8400GS. BIOS reports 22C while I install the OS.

Considering 3.78W power usage during idle, I don't think temp in BIOS is wrong.

No, can't credit those temps. (personally, I love that motherboard; see my sig.) BIOS measurements are notoriously inaccurate. Software utilities are also really hit-or-miss. Add 10 degrees to all your measurements.

But a nice little quad-core on that motherboard, even at stock, is sweet. Our board is a monster little overclocker too, and I'm about to post a thread about that.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

I am not joking. at 100% stock, which means EIST and C1E turned on, the chip idles at ambient temperature with water cooling.

whether its a slightly uncalibrated tcase diode, or a slightly uncalibrated motherboard ambient diode, I couldn't tell you..

all I can tell you is that "system temperature" = "cpu temperature" when the chip is 100% stock settings. core temps are about 3-4c higher, but tcase is the same as ambient.