Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I've got the opportunity to buy one BNIB for $239, but dunno if there's a better deal out there.
Also, how hot do these puppies run? I currently have a Xigmatek HDT-1284 & i'd like a mild overclock, but I don't want to go H2O.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Hah, i see someone else checked out what's happening at Retail Edge :p

I too am looking into that...unlocked multi would be fun.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Tullphan
I've got the opportunity to buy one BNIB for $239, but dunno if there's a better deal out there.
Also, how hot do these puppies run? I currently have a Xigmatek HDT-1284 & i'd like a mild overclock, but I don't want to go H2O.

1. its discontinued by a long margin.

2. what to know exactly how many? Well the QX life cycles for quads is as follows

QX6700 <--- mostly B3 Introduction of the first Quadcore Extreme.
QX6600 <-- although it was quickly replaced, however it was a B3
QX6800 <--- half G0 half B3
QX6850 <--- Introduction of G0
QX9650 <--- introduction of Yorkie
QX9770 <--- Intel decided to screw us with a higher FSB lower clocking quad tho.
QX9775 <-- skulltrail, LGA771

:p

Its not a bad price for a quad QX. Actually its a pretty darn good price for a QX.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: n7

Hehehe...yeah, but I didn't know if that was appropriate for me to say or not. :)
Compared to what they're selling for on NE, it's a great price!
What about the heat, though? Will I need to invest in a TRUE or will my Xigmatech do?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Hehehe...yeah, but I didn't know if that was appropriate for me to say or not. :)
Compared to what they're selling for on NE, it's a great price!
What about the heat, though? Will I need to invest in a TRUE or will my Xigmatech do?

Nothing can chase a well lapped TRUE. Well, water will gobble it, and the IFX will do it @ half noise.

Ximgatech is a very good sink for the moderate overclocker looking for an easy but really good solution. Dont let the cheap price tag fool you.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Eh as much as the QX6850 is tempting, i'm going to save my chips for this fall's program...i'd like to dream of them putting an Extreme Edition Q9000 series CPU in the bundle for that :p

(Unlikely, but i can dream.)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
239 for an unlocked G0 is not a bad deal.

Seriously, unless your the type that likes bleeding edge, that quad will do you justice for the next couple years if not more.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
Eh as much as the QX6850 is tempting, i'm going to save my chips for this fall's program...i'd like to dream of them putting an Extreme Edition Q9000 series CPU in the bundle for that :p

I don't think you have to actually use any of your chips for this... you just have to be of certain status to get first dibs... I've looked and looked and haven't found anywhere where you have to use your chips.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
whoa, how do i get in on this? I checked out intel's site but the registering requires a job thing, but im a student atm. 240bucks for a qx6850, thats a really good deal.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001

Any idea what they'll be offering in the fall?
They've been touting the 45W cpu's alot, yes?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

You mean nm not W. :p

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: aigomorla

Probably...hehehe.
In your expert opinion, what type of overclock could one expect (with the Xigmatek) w/the QX6850 & at what temps? Using a MSI P35 Neo2-FR in a Stacker.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: dajeepster

I don't think you have to actually use any of your chips for this... you just have to be of certain status to get first dibs... I've looked and looked and haven't found anywhere where you have to use your chips.

After posting that i realized that :Q

So i could get this anyway it seems (if there are any left when my category is allowed to buy), & then still get the bundle (assuming there is one still) in fall

I was stupid earlier this year & didn't do any quizzes till now...so i'm way behind :( (stuck on Producer status).

I don't like this new rating system...i preferred being able to do nothing for a few months then do a bunch of quizzes & still make up tons of chips.
Now you gotta be doing shit every month to maintain status :/

Hey aigomorla, with the QX chips is it possible to clock the FSB lower than the default 333 MHz?

If so, it might be interesting, since i could run a really low FSB with tRD extremely tight.

But i doubt i'd get all that much more outta it than my current Q6700.

Originally posted by: TC91
whoa, how do i get in on this? I checked out intel's site but the registering requires a job thing, but im a student atm. 240bucks for a qx6850, thats a really good deal.

No job on their list; no deal for you.

It's one perk of having a crappy retail job.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Probably...hehehe.
In your expert opinion, what type of overclock could one expect (with the Xigmatek) w/the QX6850 & at what temps? Using a MSI P35 Neo2-FR in a Stacker.

Chips have YMMV tags. No one can tell you.

But id say 3.6-3.7 @ 23-25C ambients is probably dooable. Expecially on a 10x-13x multi :p

Right around 1.375-1.425Vcore. So your board determines what bios voltage.

This would probably be your upper exterme, but you need good ambients.

EDIT: im sorry after seeing what board you have, dont bother. Seriously. I forced Gillbot to change boards because it has THE MOST SORRIEST VDROOP. And trust me he almost cried when he saw i was right. He loves that board, however its not very good on quads. About the same as the Abit IP35-E.
He ended up changing boards because i was correct on the vdroop issue.

EDIT 2: Okey if this is the board your talking about i see why it sucks on quads like the IP35-E.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3169&p=1

The board layout is almost identical and the mosfet location looks identical. Im guessing same OEM maker.

No, unless you want low overclocking because of low voltage, consider a board swap along with this quadcore.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Lottery rule.

Pick your weapon er numbers and draw.

Walk away crying or flying.

Repeat as often as necessary.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001

Probably...hehehe.

Chips have YMMV tags. No one can tell you.

But id say 3.6-3.7 @ 23-25C ambients is probably dooable. Expecially on a 10x-13x multi :p

Right around 1.375-1.425Vcore. So your board determines what bios voltage.

This would probably be your upper exterme, but you need good ambients.

EDIT: im sorry after seeing what board you have, dont bother. Seriously. I forced Gillbot to change boards because it has THE MOST SORRIEST VDROOP. And trust me he almost cried when he saw i was right. He loves that board, however its not very good on quads. About the same as the Abit IP35-E.
He ended up changing boards because i was correct on the vdroop issue.

EDIT 2: Okey if this is the board your talking about i see why it sucks on quads like the IP35-E.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3169&p=1

The board layout is almost identical and the mosfet location looks identical. Im guessing same OEM maker.

No, unless you want low overclocking because of low voltage, consider a board swap along with this quadcore.

Can you recommend a good-overclocking, reasonably priced board?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

DQ6, P35, X38 or X48, doesn't matter. Except they aren't that reasonable.

DS4 or DS3L alternates.Night not make 3.7 with these though

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813136043

BTW, anyone catch my question...can you run the QX6850 at a lower FSB than default 333?

I'm pretty sure you can and it will work. If you have time, you could try underclocking the fsb on your q6700 and play around with it. I remember reading about a guy who did run a 45nm yorkfield on a 680i board, but with a lower fsb and a really high multiplier on some forum (680i is not compatible with yorkfield), he had screenshots of it. That got me interested since i have a 680i board, but getting a 45nm extreme / or any extreme chip is waaaay toooo expensive for me to spend on a cpu.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Markfw900

My MSI P35 Neo2-FR is a P35 board. Why doesn't it have good success w/quads?

Do you have that particular motherboard?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
See sig...i have the model just above that, but they are very similar.

That DFI would do very well for everything but running four dimms, which is questionable on pretty much all DFIs IMO.

So if you're running 2x1 GB or 2x2 GB though, you're set with an overclocking beast.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Here let me see if i can get gillbot to shine in. He'll tell you exactly what i mean.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

Here let me see if i can get gillbot to shine in. He'll tell you exactly what i mean.

The neo2-fr was AWESOME at running C2D's but when I stepped up to the Q6600, the droop was horrible. It took my E6550 to over 500fsb without batting an eye, took my E3110 to over 4GHZ without sweating but I had to run ballpark 1.55v vcore in bios to get over 1.25v after droop with load on my Q6600. Don't get me wrong, it can RUN a quad, it took my Q6600 to 3.4G but it definitely was NOT easy to get there. It seems the power output was only designed for C2D's and they just can't get enough juice to the Quads for hardcore speeds/overclocking.

Aigo talked me into the DFI LT board which is very nice, though I really haven't taken the time to let it stretch it's legs yet. It netted me about 200MHz more without even really trying on my Q66 but for some reason, I'm still fighting to get to 3.6+. To be fair though, I haven't really tried pushing it over 3.4 as I popped my Q6600 in and walked into 3.4GHz where on the Neo2-FR I had to absolutely claw, fight and nail to get 3.4 out of it and it still wasn't 100% stable.

EDIT, I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813136039R

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Gillbot

The neo2-fr was AWESOME at running C2D's but when I stepped up to the Q6600, the droop was horrible. It took my E6550 to over 500fsb without batting an eye, took my E3110 to over 4GHZ without sweating but I had to run ballpark 1.55v vcore in bios to get over 1.25v after droop with load on my Q6600. Don't get me wrong, it can RUN a quad, it took my Q6600 to 3.4G but it definitely was NOT easy to get there. It seems the power output was only designed for C2D's and they just can't get enough juice to the Quads for hardcore speeds/overclocking.

Aigo talked me into the DFI LT board which is very nice, though I really haven't taken the time to let it stretch it's legs yet. It netted me about 200MHz more without even really trying on my Q66 but for some reason, I'm still fighting to get to 3.6+. To be fair though, I haven't really tried pushing it over 3.4 as I popped my Q6600 in and walked into 3.4GHz where on the Neo2-FR I had to absolutely claw, fight and nail to get 3.4 out of it and it still wasn't 100% stable.

EDIT, I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813136039R

Did you get the "Open Box"?
What about the one that n7 linked to? What's the difference? I won't be utilizing SLI, if that matters.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Yes, mine was open box.

Aigo can chime in more about the DK but I was advised to get the LT or the UT over the DK. I don't recall why.