QX6850 Temp questions

mrfashion

Apr 25, 2009
I think I am having temp problems, and have been searching everywhere and keep getting different answers, I even called 2 computer stores:

My TEMP readings:

My BIOS says: 75C average (sat in bios for 5 mins and it just kept going higher)

CoreTemp says:
Core #0: 65C
Core #1: 65C
Core #2: 54C
Core #3: 57C

* Now that I am browsing the web and installing software, it says my temp is:
Core #0: 89C
Core #1: 89C
Core #2: 75C
Core #3: 77C

Everest says:
Core #1: 55C
Core #2: 55C
Core #3: 45C
Core #4: 48C

* Now that I am browsing the web and installing software, it says my temp is:
Core #0: 81C
Core #1: 80C
Core #2: 67C
Core #3: 68C

MBM5 doesn't work on my PC, when I start the program, I get an error, and it just freezes. I am runing vista x64 w/ Asus Maximus Formula rev1.

Question? Who do I believe, and what is to hot, is this normal, are the readings wrong?? How do I decrease the temp? I haven't even overclocked or anything, I haven't done anything bizaar to my system. Please help, thank you!

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
That's quite hot if your CPU is not overclocked. My QX6850 at 3.60GHz with 1.42V core, idles at 40-39-44-44 main temp 45 just surfing the web with a room temperature of 82F, and using Prime95 in the worst case scenario goes up to 82-82-90-91 main temp at 89C, and is stable with no errors.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Believe coretemp but you need to adjust the TJmax offset so the TJmax used by coretemp for your QX6850 is set to 80C.

see slide 15

shouldnt the newest coretemp already know the TDP?

Or is this something you need to set everytime?

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Believe coretemp but you need to adjust the TJmax offset so the TJmax used by coretemp for your QX6850 is set to 80C.

see slide 15

That is the first presentation I've seen where they have a two page legal disclaimer at the end. Did the presenter have to read that lot at the end of his/her presentation?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: aigomorla

see slide 15

shouldnt the newest coretemp already know the TDP?

Or is this something you need to set everytime?

Intel bungled the original presentation, causing a lot of bad data to get swirled around the "public knowledge database" regarding TJmax for the 65nm quads.

You'll notice that the pdf I linked is the official Intel presentation document but the slide in question was updated after the presentation was given and has a timestamp on it to reflect this.

Coretemp does not get my G0 Q6600 nor B3 QX6700 TJmax correct for example, I still have to set the offsets manually. This was true for the latest coretemp as of about 6 weeks ago, could be changed by now.

Originally posted by: daw123
That is the first presentation I've seen where they have a two page legal disclaimer at the end. Did the presenter have to read that lot at the end of his/her presentation?

Ha ha, yeah you like that. I'm sure the Intel guys love all the legalities they have endured which has created the requirements that they have a two-slide legal disclaimer appended.