QWERTY & Bluetooth Cell Phones.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
ARGH...how are you lost... damn OT!!! Nobody takes it seriously :(. How can I get an answer from such a huge and knowlegable forums otherwise? Maybe I have to offer a cookie? Ahem...:cookie:. I know somebody out there owns this phone, or any qwerty phone for that matter, and can comment! Please!

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
I just had a thought...assuming the phone doesn't work in this manner (and at this point it seems to be entirely true otherwise it wold be a feature worth touting on a cell's spec page); maybe there is a remote login type program that can be server run from a palm or maybe written in java for the phone that is much like the remote login that windows xp has built in. I'm sure it can't be tought to implement...but I'm hoping there's a prog already like that out. Anybody know of somthing along these lines?

edit: maybe even a wap 2.0 interface would work. The palm I plan to use will be on wifi anyways usually while I do this, but then again I'm sure it could if I gprs through bt on the palm and then login through wap on the phone. This is of course assuming it can use wap gprs while the palm is connected (head spinning yet?). Options, options...any ideas?

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Silex
ARGH...how are you lost... damn OT!!! Nobody takes it seriously :(. How can I get an answer from such a huge and knowlegable forums otherwise? Maybe I have to offer a cookie? Ahem...:cookie:. I know somebody out there owns this phone, or any qwerty phone for that matter, and can comment! Please!

Go bitch somewhere else then, sign up for howardfoums.com and post your question there.

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
Uhhh, I am always on hofo and post there regularly...somebody had a bad at work/school. I know it's tough to see, but since when is cookie imply seriousness? I obviously was being hecka sarcastic. Back on topic!

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
The SK2 is a pretty nice phone if you don't mind it's shotcomings. The clip mechanism is stout and very rock solid. The keys have nice tactile feedback. Overall a great buy. The internet is faster on it since the creator, HipTop precaches and organizes websites to fit on the screen. Target age group is 16-30. Data Unlimited plan is exclusive to it and costs $20. Voice plan will cost you extra and you can check the newest up to date ones at t-mobile.com. Has the best implementation of IMing to data with MSN and AIM, no yahoo atm or icq I believe. Nice phone, but not really an option for me since there's no bluetooth.

BTW to all you naysayers, take my paragraph above as an example of how to provide clear and concise answers to their questions. Due to me frivilous behavior, I'm sure that I won't get much help in my thread. I don't mean to scare anybody off!

gordita

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
silex, I'm also on the verge of buying the A630.
I need to make a decision by 4.00pm today whether to switch from sprint to T-mobile tonight (getting a deal which ends tonight).
I have tried very hard to scour the forums to find more n more about this phone but the info is just not there or I'm looking in the wrong places.
can u please PM me some of the places that has more in depth info on this phone.

I'm specifically looking for things about this phone regarding:
1) Bluetooth exchange between A630 and my laptop using OBEX.
will file transfers work ok?
will I able to transfer my contacts info easily ?
how about ringtones and pics....will all this work thru BT?
2) BT between a BT headset and this A630. what headsets work best with this phone and what are the pros and cons.
3) data cable and file transfer using moto's s/w
4) how to use this A630 as a BT modem for times when I need to go online using the lappy and this phone.

someone with this phone please help me......I have about 2.5 hours to go......

gracias

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
Responded via PM but I just realized that you are on the east coast so I think I'm a bit late :(. Let's just hope you purchased it because it's definetially a keeper!

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: atiyeh
Originally posted by: PicHold
Sidekick 2?

are those any good?

Pretty sweet stuff. The camera is better than most phone cameras, but not much to get excited over. The only other downsides are that having the large screen on the outside with no real protection makes it prone to scratches and unless a phone number is in your address book you have to open it up to dial. Things you can easily get over, but for $200-300 you shouldn't have to.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Silex
BTW to all you naysayers, take my paragraph above as an example of how to provide clear and concise answers to their questions. Due to me frivilous behavior, I'm sure that I won't get much help in my thread. I don't mean to scare anybody off!

:roll:

I'm wondering why on earth you'd want to type on a tiny keypad as opposed to just using a more comfortable full-sized keyboard.

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
You make a good point. Oh well thats because I can't always type on a desk otherwise I'd do that! I'm mostly roaming around with small areas so inbetween sittings it would be nice to type on something that I already use as a phone. One less device to tote around is a plus!

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mpitts
Originally posted by: NutBucket
I'm ready to buy a Treo 650 once they release a GSM version.

Isn't ATT selling this phone right now?

Sprint is the only wireless carrier selling the 650 right now.

Yet another first for Sprint. Soon, the first 2MP camera phone:D

Dec 4, 2002
I'm ready to buy a Treo 650 once they release a GSM version.

Isn't ATT selling this phone right now?

Sprint is the only wireless carrier selling the 650 right now.

Yet another first for Sprint. Soon, the first 2MP camera phone:D

Yay? They can sling a contract...woohoo? :roll:

Silex

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2001
Seems liek we got alot of gearheads in OT. Screw all those choices. They are all ok, but the a630 kicks their butt :D.