Quitting a job I never really had

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
So I've been training for this consulting position for about 3 months. At first it was going well, but now that I'm out in the "field" things are going downhill. I have yet to sign a contract with the company and have a meeting today in which I will be telling them the position is not for me. It's strange really, we've spent so much time in meetings and training that I feel bad for springing this on them, but I've gotten better offers at other places that have better security and a higher base pay. Still, parting will be strange and I'm hoping that I don't meet too much resistance. Any tips for me? The last time I quit a job was 8 years ago in high school. I'd rather not burn this bridge as I do feel as though I can be successful in that business, just not at this point in my life. FWIW it's a financial consulting position.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Sounds like you'll be burning some bridges if you're skipping out after getting 3 months of training.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
quitting after 3 months of training = burnt bridge and red flag for future job apps/interviews. employers dont look to kindly on people who leave after only 3 months...

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: bonkers325
quitting after 3 months of training = burnt bridge and red flag for future job apps/interviews. employers dont look to kindly on people who leave after only 3 months...

I think if the OP had been there for a few weeks of training and realized it wasn't right for him, it'd be a different story, but it's not like you can just high-tail it out after THREE MONTHS. You should know whether the job is right for you or not well before then, especially if they are dedicating resources to training you.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Let me clarify.

1. I've been working full time at another job throughout training
2. Training has been one day, every other week for an hour or two
3. Most of the training has been self-initiated through books and CD's that they sent home with me for licensing.
4. I haven't signed any contracts, so this job won't be posted on my resume
5. This line of work has an 85% FAILURE rate. They can't be all that surprised if I decide to pursue more stable employment.
6. To be added as I'm flamed I'm sure.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
dont sweat it. a friend of mine started working for Vonage but only stayed for their VOIP and network training. He bounced after the training and took a job with Cisco. The knowlege he acquired in the training helped him outshine all the other candidates at the Cisco interview. Infact, it put him a class above the position he was applying for. So basically his starting salary was 15K more than what it would have been with Vonage. Its been three years and now he's moved on for Cisco to a consulting firm making over 100K whereas he'd be making 60-70K at Vonage and no future job security.
Moral of story, do whats best for you.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Do what makes you happy and you feel is right, screw this "burning bridges" stuff. Don't stick at a job you don't like just to avoid pissing someone else off, it's your life.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Modular
Let me clarify.

3. Most of the training has been self-initiated through books and CD's that they sent home with me for licensing.
5. This line of work has an 85% FAILURE rate. They can't be all that surprised if I decide to pursue more stable employment.

Apologies. If you've been part-time training one day every other week, that's a lot different than full-time training.

I don't think dropping this job will be a big deal then, maybe next time you should be more specific with what your situation is ;)

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Let me clarify.

Apologies. If you've been part-time training one day every other week, that's a lot different than full-time training.

I don't think dropping this job will be a big deal then, maybe next time you should be more specific with what your situation is ;)

No hard feelings sir. That was my fault for not clarifying how much time I've actually been spending "training" with them. I've been in the office maybe 20 hours over 3 months. The rest has been 20-30 hours a week of me studying for the exams (seriously :( ). So really I'm the one who's losing the most by leaving this job. But by getting out of this dead-end now, I can provide better security for myself later. Plus, there will hopefully be a time in my life when this sort of thing will fit better. Now is not that time, and that's what I hope to convey to them.

Oh and a big edit: I haven't made a dime from them this whole time. The job is 100% commission and since I wasn't out selling I wasn't making $$. On top of that I had to pay for my licenses on my own. I've already spent $180 on them and had I stayed would have spent another $500. So yeah, I'm not feeling all that bad about leaving.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Update:

They offered me 250k/yr and stock options/free timeshare to stay.

OK, so really this was an amazing experience. They were completely understanding and told me that they want to keep the door open for me to return when I feel comfortable. This is definitely the type of place I want to work for, it's just that I don't have the market yet :(

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: bonkers325

I read the update, so it's going to be a non-issue, but:

Who says he has to list this employer?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"These reports you handed in. It's almost as if you have no business training at all... I don't know what this is supposed to be!"
"Well, I'm uh, just--tryin' to get ahead..."
"Well, I'm sorry. There's just no way that we can keep you on."
"But I don't even really work here!"
"That's what makes this so difficult."

ppdes

May 16, 2004
Hehe, this is so vague he could be escaping Primerica or something equally disgusting.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: ppdes
Hehe, this is so vague he could be escaping Primerica or something equally disgusting.

Oh God no. Trust me this is not Primerica. They are a professional financial planning firm that has the backing of a multi-million (perhaps billion?) dollar company whom you hear of everyday. I have a 4-year degree from one of the top schools in this nation. I would never "sell" Primerica.

Edit: Frog; for some reason I really, really want a good tall Boddington's when I read your sig ;)

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Don't worry about quitting man, companies fire people left and right after the initial "trial" period, so there is nothing to feel bad about quitting after the first few month when you find out the position doesn't really suit you. Just give them the standard 2 weeks notice and do the best to transition your work to someone else if there is any.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Update:

[/b]They offered me 250k/yr and stock options/free timeshare to stay.[/b]

OK, so really this was an amazing experience. They were completely understanding and told me that they want to keep the door open for me to return when I feel comfortable. This is definitely the type of place I want to work for, it's just that I don't have the market yet :(

What the hell do you do?

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
dont feel bad, they will fire you sorry ass if you couldn't pass those series 6, 7, 63, 65 test anyway.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Oh God no. Trust me this is not Primerica. They are a professional financial planning firm that has the backing of a multi-million (perhaps billion?) dollar company whom you hear of everyday. I have a 4-year degree from one of the top schools in this nation. I would never "sell" Primerica.

Edit: Frog; for some reason I really, really want a good tall Boddington's when I read your sig ;)

You just described Primerica. :laugh: So I take it this was unpaid training?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Good day for it, what with the world ending and all.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
How did they offer you 250k when you said it was 100% commission? Commission isn't guaranteed?