Quiting your job without letting your boss know until the two week notice

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I'm working at this place for about 2 years. I'm disgusted and want to leave. I'm throwing out resumes now. As far as references I have a couple none of them being my boss. However, on the application when it ask for job history it request the supervisors phone number.

1. From my past experience when future employers contact your references is usually the time they have decided to hire you. But, they want to make sure about everything.

2. If I don't put my boss down it will look weak right?

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
just be like.

yo im bouncing peace dog.

and for the references when i filled out one for the bank as an intern i just put his name, and the company number. seemed to work fine.

EDIT: i did just peace out on my last job and still put his reference, i dont know if they called him or not but i got the job even though im pretty sure my supervisor hated me

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I'm working at this place for about 2 years. I'm disgusted and want to leave. I'm throwing out resumes now. As far as references I have a couple none of them being my boss. However, on the application when it ask for job history it request the supervisors phone number.

1. From my past experience when future employers contact your references is usually the time they have decided to hire you. But, they want to make sure about everything.

for a reference?

no...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Just tell them you don't want your current employer to know that you are looking.

It shouldn't be a problem.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I've never had a problem with any applicant that didn't want to alert his current employer that he was searching for a new job. I would definitely be asking them why they are leaving.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i always put in a line like "I submit my credentials and qualifications in confidence and request that my current employer not to be contacted."

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Just tell them you don't want your current employer to know that you are looking.

It shouldn't be a problem.
Exactly. It's not like you are the first person who wishes to retain their current job until they find another. They'll understand that. They know that this does not mean that you are a bad employee. Your other references and job history can hint at that if it is true.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Not at all. Let them know that you don't feel it is appropriate for them to contact your current manager. Just have a good reason for why you want to leave your current job.

They cannot expect you to put your job at risk in order to try and get a job that might go to someone else.

ASK THE COMMUNITY