Quit telling me the rest of the world is better.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
China stands in the way and why?

China, a veto-wielding permanent member of the Security Council, buys two-thirds of Sudan's oil exports and sells the African country weapons and military aircraft. China's leadership has been criticized for not using its influence to do more to stop the Darfur crisis.

This place makes Iraq look like a paradise. Yet where is the outrage? Oh, there isn't any because they can't pin it on America or Bush. ( which when he is gone who will they blame the worlds ills on? )

Some 200,000 people have died and 2.5 million have been forced from their homes by four years of fighting between rebels based in Darfur's ethnic African communities and nomadic Arab tribes.

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Shivetya
Yet where is the outrage? Oh, there isn't any because they can't pin it on America or Bush. ( which when he is gone who will they blame the worlds ills on? )

christians

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004

China, a veto-wielding permanent member of the Security Council, buys two-thirds of Sudan's oil exports and sells the African country weapons and military aircraft. China's leadership has been criticized for not using its influence to do more to stop the Darfur crisis.

This place makes Iraq look like a paradise. Yet where is the outrage? Oh, there isn't any because they can't pin it on America or Bush. ( which when he is gone who will they blame the worlds ills on? )

Some 200,000 people have died and 2.5 million have been forced from their homes by four years of fighting between rebels based in Darfur's ethnic African communities and nomadic Arab tribes.

China, just like any other nation, will act in it's own self-interest. No surprise here.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
China is unstoppable now.
It wants to show the U.S that it is powerful.
It will pretty much ally with everyone the U.S is against just to piss it off

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
France and many other European countries also have interests there, that's why there was so much resistance within the EU against any actions against Sudan or even calling it a genocide. Some of their resistance seems to have crumbled recently though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What do you mean there is no outrage?!!?! China is doing something that is manifestly evil. Unfortunately for the world, this is not particularly new for China.

I can remember very few times in which China has claimed to stand up for freedom, democracy, and human rights on the world stage; so their moves here tend to ignite slightly less indignation, etc then it does when the US ignores the Sudan as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Also if you're going to choose a representitive for the moral code of the rest of the world, I think very few people would pick China.

Just letting you know.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
France and many other European countries also have interests there, that's why there was so much resistance within the EU against any actions against Sudan or even calling it a genocide. Some of their resistance seems to have crumbled recently though.

Really?

Sudan, Main Export Partners (2005):
China 71.1%, Japan 12%, Saudi Arabia 2.8%

Sudan, Main Import Partners (2005):
China 20.7%, Saudi Arabia 9.4%, UAE 5.9%, Egypt 5.5%, Japan 5.1%, India 4.8%

They must hide pretty well...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't care what you're sig says you think about Republicans, you are clearly just as big a partisan tool as anyone on this board. It's one thing to be party agnostic and defend one or the other when they are truly being treated unfairly, but not only do you ALWAYS defend Republicans over Democrats, but you go out of your way to invent reasons to get "offended".

Why, you might ask, would people care more about the US ignoring Darfur than China doing the same thing? Well, for one thing, China has never claimed to be the leader of the free world, and has never claimed to fight for freedom and democracy for everyone. From that perspective, even if they are being just as bad as the US over the Darfur situation, at least they aren't hypocrits. But the big reason is, and tell me if I'm going too fast, I live HERE. You know, the good old US of A. As such, I tend to care more about what MY country is doing or not doing than what a bunch of communists halfway around the world are doing. Contrary to conservative views on the subject, being a "good citizen" doesn't mean passively accepting anything your government tells you to accept, it's constantly trying to improve your country. I think fighting for freedom and democracy is a good thing, but I think if we're going to do that, let's not just use it as an excuse to invade countries...let's actually DO something.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
To the OP: I lost count on how many duuversions... I'm sorry, which one is this?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

China needs the oil to build all the cheap junk they sell to us.
I don't see you boycotting Chinese goods over this.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

WHERE IRAQIS HAVE FLED TO
Syria: 1,200,000
Jordan: 750,000
Gulf states: 200,000
Egypt: 100,000
Iran: 54,000
Lebanon: 40,000
Turkey: 10,000
Internally displaced: 1,900,000

Text

Yet where is the outrage?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
p.s.

If you have never checked out how the U.S. has voted and vetoed at the UN you should. It could be very enlightening

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Some of the world is better, just not China... or Russia, which also has interested in the Sudan.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I read an interesting piece that blames the oil rich muslim states for pressuring the West not to interfer interfere in the Sudan where it is is the muslims who are persecuting Christians and others.
China is just being a little more suck up to ensure its access to oil. But the bottom line is America is not getting involved due to pressure from our "friends" the Saudis and Kuwatis.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
At least China don't pretend to be something they are not. What you see is what you get, unlike...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do we really want to be measured against a country like China? Personally I'd prefer we aim a bit higher than that.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
Obviously you're not a fan of the truth... I could stop telling you 1+1=2 but that still wont change the fact that it equals 2.

Oh well I guess you'll be one of the people that answers 11

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Last month i flew back to the US with a stop in Khartoum....It felt bad simply being IN the country. :(