Quieting down a 7850....

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
looking at the possibility of getting an accelero s1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186054)
to mount to a Powercolor AX7850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131464)

I will be sticking this into a relatively small mATX enclosure (Asus V3-P5G33: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=8&s=15&m=V3-P5G33&os=&hashedid=biwC5cR1KFeHkbEL )

When I measure my clearance from the top of the PCIE slot to the bottom of the side panel, I get 14cm- the listed vertical size of the cooler. Is this thing going to fit without cutting up my case?

I really want to reduce noise, as the increased noise pollution for this from my previous card (HD-5770) is annoying, even at idle....

If the accelero wont fit, what is a good quiet cooler to pop on to this card?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, that should fit, as long as there's no crimps or things jutting out.

I'm 75% sure you will need some fans on that though.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I am 100% sure that a fan is needed, and I have a few candidates available for the task....

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
whoa, AMD claims lower power usage on idle than ever before, then why is there more noise?
If thing is cool at idle, why not just reduce fan speed with Catalyst?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I am 100% sure that a fan is needed, and I have a few candidates available for the task....

OK. Something else comes to mind just now though. Does the Heatsink reach all the way to the top of the PCI-e slot and if not how close it will be. I suspect it does, but if it doesn't I suspect it would be close enough to still fit.

After watching a couple Install Vids, I'm not sure if it will fit anymore. These Installs were on a 5870 and 4850, but it appears the Accelero sits at least 1cm above the PCI-e slot. Of course the 7850 GPU could be in a different position compared to those, but I think you might be taking a huge risk of it not fitting.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
OP I thought about getting the Accelero as they are $20 and apparently perform exceptionally well with a cheap 120mm fan zip-tied to it, but compatibility was not guaranteed for the 7850 and I couldn't find stock locally.

You might be able to run it passively at stock speeds but I don't know for sure. Be careful if you're trying to go passive. The 7850 can generate a surprising amount of heat.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

That certainly seems a more likely fit, but this should be guaranteed to fit that case. It basically doesn't exceed the height of the PCB. That said, it is quite pricey and like the rest of these coolers there seems to be no 7850 guarantees.

Just have to add: I absolutely hate NCIX's US website. It just seems horribly organized compared to the Canadian one. [/minirant]

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
That certainly seems a more likely fit, but this should be guaranteed to fit that case. It basically doesn't exceed the height of the PCB. That said, it is quite pricey and like the rest of these coolers there seems to be no 7850 guarantees.

Just have to add: I absolutely hate NCIX's US website. It just seems horribly organized compared to the Canadian one. [/minirant]
As long as OP has at least 3 PCI-E slots open, the Twin Turbo II should fit.

I can vouch for that cooler being excellent as well; I'm not so sure about the Gelid one, plus it costs more.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As long as OP has at least 3 PCI-E slots open, the Twin Turbo II should fit.

I can vouch for that cooler being excellent as well; I'm not so sure about the Gelid one, plus it costs more.

The Slots are not the problem, it is the Width of the Case that could be the issue here. He may have problems putting the side of the Case on.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
The Slots are not the problem, it is the Width of the Case that could be the issue here. He may have problems putting the side of the Case on.
I think you must mean the length. Depth wise the cooler is the same depth as the video card will be. Now that you say that, it was even a little tight in my Antec 300, so OP please be careful.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think you must mean the length. Depth wise the cooler is the same depth as the video card will be. Now that you say that, it was even a little tight in my Antec 300, so OP please be careful.

Height/Width/Depth and PC's always seems confusing. It's akin to discussing the Front/Back, depending on what part is being discussed, someone considers one thing the Front, another considers it the Back. D::D

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
I have an accelero S1 waiting to be put on my 7850. Just testing out the ASUS heatsink first.

Based on my experiences using the S1 on my 4850, I'm 100% sure it will cool the 7850 effectively using just a super quiet low speed fan (I used the Nexus Real Silent 120 in the past, I'm using the Antec TrueQuiet120 this go around, which so far sounds about the same but feels like it's giving a bit more airflow).

I couldn't hear it over anything else in my computer and it did an awesome job on my 4850 that was overvolted and running a ~25% overclock. That 4850 should be similar, or possibly more, heat to dissipate than a 7850 at high volts and ~40% OC.

The S1 is definitely quite a bit taller than a standard PCI slot card. It definitely won't fit in a slim case, you need a case that's "full width" (width here being whatever the thinnest dimension of the case is. In a tower style case it'd be width, in a Desktop or HTPC style case it would be the height.)

Last edited:

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I will define dimensions as follows: with case laying flat (CPU fan on on top as I look)

Height from top of the actual PCIE slot= 14cm
Width= current 2x slot cooler, 1 slot available on side towards bottom of the case, 0 slots available on side towards top of case due to PCIE 1x tuner in that slot
depth= 33cm to front panel board

with that being said, if the accelero takes up 3 slots INCLUDING the slots of the Video Card (taking space consumed from 2 to 3 including addition of a fan), and the height is sufficient, that works just great.

If that 3 slots is in ADDITION to the regular video card, meaning it would consume 4 slots in total, (or space is consumed on the PCB side that normally has nothing on it), I need to find something else.

I guess this is where my mATX case really hits it's limitations...

(I am running an Asus P7H55-M Pro for thos who feel my slot configuration makes little sense)