Quiet/silent AMD Socket 939 motherboard

monstermunch

May 2, 2006
I'm trying to find an AMD Socket 939 motherboard that is either silent (no fans) or has very quiet fans. I obviously want it to perform well too. Also, I need it to use nforce4, as this has the best support in Linux. I was going to get the Asus A8N-E but have been told it is very noisy. What motherboards would people recommend?

Also, I'm planning to buy a passively cooled 7600GT graphics card. If I were to get a passively cooled motherboard as well, is my case going to get excessively hot? I'm planning to mount them in a Antec P180 and want to run it on the low fan setting and I've heard it has very good airflow so it sounds like it should be OK.

Thanks.

monstermunch

May 2, 2006
Wow, thanks for all the links! :)

I've been looking at the Abit AN8 SLI as this has passive cooling, it's not expensive and the features seem good (PCI-Ex16, 3 PCI slots, SATA II, AMD cool and quiet). I'm just trying to find out if it works under Linux now.

Thanks again.

FireTech

Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: wacki
Why has nobody mentioned this?
A8R32-MVP Deluxe
Probably because the OP wants an nForce 4 board to work under Linux and the ASUS is an ATI chipset board. If we'd been talking ATI, I'd have suggested AT8/AT8 32X.