Quiet exhaust for a small engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Anyone know of a super quiet exhaust for a small engine? I want to make my generator sound like Honda generators. Could I just take a car exhaust and slap it on there?

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
Dont think that would work. Might cause to much back preasure. What generator do you have?

Sep 7, 2009
If I were in that position I would start at harbor freight and northern tools. If they didn't have anything I'd figure out the exhaust outlet diameter and order one from... a Honda, or whatever.

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
Check with a robin Subaru dealer. I think they make a "silent" series. Maybe you can get a muffler from them or find out if yoor idea wont harm the engine.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There wouldn't be too much back pressure with an automotive exhaust, lol.. It would be designed to flow much more than any small engine could output. The problem would be making it fit.

With some ingenuity, you could make the generator essentially silent though.

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
There wouldn't be too much back pressure with an automotive exhaust, lol.. It would be designed to flow much more than any small engine could output. The problem would be making it fit.

With some ingenuity, you could make the generator essentially silent though.

Doh!!!! What was I thinking. :D

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Long tube header and 3" pipes.

Running over to your neighbor's yard! Now he's the only one that doesn't enjoy your generator running!! :awe:

Remember, too, that Honda whisper generators are pretty low power. I think they max out at 2000 watt, so keeping them quiet is likely much easier than quieting a 4000 or 5000 watt generator.

Personally, I've always wished they'd find a way to quiet lawnmower engines! :rolleyes:

earthman

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Air cooled engines like the ones in generators will always be noisier, since there is no water jacket to help dampen combustion noise. Even with a different muffler, it will still be noisy. One thing that I have done on a noisy lawnmower was to add a "tailpipe" that pointed down at the ground, it helped alot.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
How quiet do you want? the 5.5 HP honda on my compressor isn't exacly quiet, it is just about the same as my 17 HP b&S. Remember, small engines don't have mufflers, they have spark arrestors.

You can try something like this: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm or make your own. I made a dual exaust for a really old ariens lawn mower that I modified to run on 50/50 gas alchohol mix that was much quieter than the stock screw in arrestor. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of it that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.