Quicksilver users, what are some of your favorite..

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
For anyone who hasn't yet used Quicksilver you can find out more HERE

Anyone who does use Quicksilver, let me know what you use it for, and what are some of your favorite plug-ins, etc.

My current favorite is typing the first few letters of a name in my contacts and having quicksilver dial my phone via bluetooth.

It also allows me to have a less cluttered dock as I can launch any app just by typing the first few letters of it's name. I leave my dock on auto hide and rarely have to bring it up at all.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I've tried out Quicksilver a few times, but never did use it a whole lot. And although that bluetooth dialing plugin sounds nifty, my phone doesnt support it (F*** You Verizon!)

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: TheStu
I've tried out Quicksilver a few times, but never did use it a whole lot. And although that bluetooth dialing plugin sounds nifty, my phone doesnt support it (F*** You Verizon!)

You can always count on Verizon to cripple a phone ;)

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002

wow, every mac user I know LOVES quicksilver. Just simply for launching applications it is so great. If you use keychain access, you can access the stored login information for websites using quicksilver, it will paste your password into a field that has focus.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Codewiz

wow, every mac user I know LOVES quicksilver. Just simply for launching applications it is so great. If you use keychain access, you can access the stored login information for websites using quicksilver, it will paste your password into a field that has focus.

I did like the app launching to a certain degree, but I use my machine for general stuff, so I pretty much always have open the stuff that I need open, so it isn't that much of an advantage for me to quickly launch apps that i use at most, once a week.

And the advantages that it has over Spotlight are nullified by the fact that I pretty much always know exactly where all my files are.

So it is nice, but nothing that I really got into using. It is possible that I used Windows for far too long to appreciate Quicksilver's elegance or ease or who knows what... but I just simply don't use it.

My friend is the exact same way, he tried Quicksilver for a while, and it never really took for him either.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002

I did like the app launching to a certain degree, but I use my machine for general stuff, so I pretty much always have open the stuff that I need open, so it isn't that much of an advantage for me to quickly launch apps that i use at most, once a week.

And the advantages that it has over Spotlight are nullified by the fact that I pretty much always know exactly where all my files are.

So it is nice, but nothing that I really got into using. It is possible that I used Windows for far too long to appreciate Quicksilver's elegance or ease or who knows what... but I just simply don't use it.

My friend is the exact same way, he tried Quicksilver for a while, and it never really took for him either.

Do you use keychain access or itunes? It is great for both.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004

Do you use keychain access or itunes? It is great for both.

What exactly do you mean by Keychain access? Do i use Keychain to keep track of my passwords? Sure. But beyond that I don't know what you mean.

But for iTunes, I mosly just use my remote to switch between songs and what not, though I guess you mean to control things like jumping a particular song... well, I pretty much only listen to music on shuffle since that is how I like it.

But if know of other things I can do with Quicksilver and iTunes, or what you mean by Keychain access, then I am all ears.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
But for iTunes, I mosly just use my remote to switch between songs and what not, though I guess you mean to control things like jumping a particular song... well, I pretty much only listen to music on shuffle since that is how I like it.

But if know of other things I can do with Quicksilver and iTunes, or what you mean by Keychain access, then I am all ears.

Using the remote is cumbersome to me. In fact, I don't know why they include it. It takes far more effort to reach out and pick it up verses a quick keyboard shortcut (in regards to itunes). And if I'm watching video on my iMac... I'm right in front of my keyboard... what's the point?

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: randomlinh

Using the remote is cumbersome to me. In fact, I don't know why they include it. It takes far more effort to reach out and pick it up verses a quick keyboard shortcut (in regards to itunes). And if I'm watching video on my iMac... I'm right in front of my keyboard... what's the point?

Well, especially at work, I have my macbook sitting to my right, while I work on my work desktop. I can easily move my hand to the right and tap the next button on the remote, easier than I can type a keyboard shortcut. And if I am using it as a movie player, hooked up to a TV.... then I use the remote. But i do agree, when I am actively using the system, I probably would prefer keyboard shortcuts over having to right click on the dock to change the song (faster than switching to itunes, going to the next song, and then switching back to whatever I was doing.)

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
crashes everytime i use it.... not impressed.