QUICK! what's a symbol for "not equal to"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Originally posted by: Evadman
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character Map

I uninstalled that from the add/remove windows components panel, because I never use it :p

Brilliant decision there chief.

it unclutters my start menu.

I like a very minimalistic start menu.

... as opposed to just removing the shortcut to it from your start menu?

I think that is bad practice.

:confused: So do you create shortcuts to executables that do not have shortcuts by default?

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

I uninstalled that from the add/remove windows components panel, because I never use it :p

:confused: So do you create shortcuts to executables that do not have shortcuts by default?

:confused: you want to get rid of ms office - do you just delete the shortcuts, or do you uninstall it?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
The "!=" is grossly overused here. People use it (sometimes when it doesn't even really fit) in an attempt to sound intelligent. They fail.

You're stupid. It's used because it's about 10x easier to type != than to use the special symbol ?

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

:confused: you want to get rid of ms office - do you just delete the shortcuts, or do you uninstall it?

If I wanted to completely eliminate a program that I was 100% certain that I would not need, I would uninstall it. If it was a utility that there is a chance I would need, like charmap, I would leave it alone, even if I never used it. If my start menu was bothering me, I'd just delete the shortcut to it.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

If I wanted to completely eliminate a program that I was 100% certain that I would not need, I would uninstall it. If it was a utility that there is a chance I would need, like charmap, I would leave it alone, even if I never used it. If my start menu was bothering me, I'd just delete the shortcut to it.

so then delete the shortcut...instead of removing the character map program completely.

lol, i think thats kind of funny...IMO.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: secretanchitman

so then delete the shortcut...instead of removing the character map program completely.

The guy you're replying to isn't the OP... he's telling the OP to just delete the shortcut

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Eeezee
The "!=" is grossly overused here. People use it (sometimes when it doesn't even really fit) in an attempt to sound intelligent. They fail.

You're stupid. It's used because it's about 10x easier to type != than to use the special symbol ?

It's "easier" to type like a 13 year old AOL addict, too. Sometimes it's worth the extra effort to avoid sounding like a teenager on a chat room.

Glad to see I offended you, kid. Now whine to someone else.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

It's "easier" to type like a 13 year old AOL addict, too. Sometimes it's worth the extra effort to avoid sounding like a teenager on a chat room.

Glad to see I offended you, kid. Now whine to someone else.

No, it's actually more difficult to break the rules of English. Typing "!=" is as incorrect as using "?." One takes more time to type, and that's why smarter people (not you) use "!=." It's equally polite to use either symbol.

Besides that, let's see who the whiner actually was.

The "!=" is grossly overused here.

Oh, look at that, you're a hypocrite.

I'm glad to see that you did not dispute my original statement. Go back to high school.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

at the time, I was about 95% sure I would never want to use the character map program. I decided to live dangerously, and remove it completely. I don't regret my decision. :)

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

The guy you're replying to isn't the OP... he's telling the OP to just delete the shortcut

even if I did that, I'd still have to hunt around to find the executable (if I decided I wanted to use it). I wouldn't remember the name of it, so I'd have to google for it.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

at the time, I was about 95% sure I would never want to use the character map program. I decided to live dangerously, and remove it completely. I don't regret my decision. :)
I am feeling a very irrational anger.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Besides that, let's see who the whiner actually was.

The "!=" is grossly overused here.

Oh, look at that, you're a hypocrite.

I'm glad to see that you did not dispute my original statement. Go back to high school.

LOL

I can tell just by arguing with you that you're young. Probably still in HS or college. I can tell by the types of arguments you use. While you probably think you're using something novel, to me, I've seen it all before. You're using the cookie-cutter arguments used by most people your age.

"OMG, you're a hypocrite!"

"You don't even know me!"

A true rebel without a clue.

KingofCamelot

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2004

even if I did that, I'd still have to hunt around to find the executable (if I decided I wanted to use it). I wouldn't remember the name of it, so I'd have to google for it.

Eh, how hard is to to remember charmap? Just use Run and type charmap, voila. Not so hard, and no shortcuts required.

Edit - Stupid improperly used bold tags...

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

We live distinctly different lives. I've been running charmap via the "Run" function for many years. I had actually forgotten that there is a shortcut to it on the Start Menu.

Then again, that should be no surprise, since I might use my start menu once or twice a month, tops.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
We live distinctly different lives. I've been running charmap via the "Run" function for many years. I had actually forgotten that there is a shortcut to it on the Start Menu.

Then again, that should be no surprise, since I might use my start menu once or twice a month, tops.

I use the start menu for

1) the startup folder
2) administrative tools folder
3) a few bits and pieces in the accessories folder

minimal start up menu

I access my programs from icons or menus on my toolbar.

toolbar

I don't believe that typing the names of executable files via a keyboard would be quicker or more efficient

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

I use the start menu for

1) the startup folder
2) administrative tools folder
3) a few bits and pieces in the accessories folder

minimal start up menu

I access my programs from icons or menus on my toolbar.

toolbar

I don't believe that typing the names of executable files via a keyboard would be quicker or more efficient

I use an arrangement somewhat similar to your toolbar most of the time, as well. That allows me to completely disregard the start menu. There's no need for me to make it minimal, since it doesn't get in my way as it is.

No, typing the names of *most* executables that you launch repeatedly inside a GUI would just be pointless, IMHO. But, if you don't use it enough to warrant a shortcut taking up space on the toolbar all the time (like charmap), it's much faster for me to open the run box, type charmap, and his enter. I can do that a lot faster than browsing up to the Accessories menu and digging through it. Yes, even if it is minimal.