Quick, things to do in LA????

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
My bro and his GF are visiting Los Angeles now. They're kind of running out of things to do.

He runs to me (I've been several times), and I gave him some tips + friend's advice. But I might as well start a thread here.

They have done following:

- Ate KBBQ
- Griffith Park
- Horseback riding
- Sawtelle Blvd (Jap town?)
- UCB theater (improv show)
- Venice canals
- Venice beach

They have free time til Wednesday. What do you guys recommend?

Paging NS1

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Could drive over to Oakland and flip people off, but that might get ugly fast :)

;)

Sorry, I'd try but haven't been in LA a long time myself.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Watts Tower (note: don't go after dark)

I thought visiting the Reagan Presidential Library was cool too... some interesting historical stuff to see and they've got an old Air Force One that you can walk around in.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Where are they staying?

I presume nearby Ktown? (since they find themselves there often)

Please recommend food as well. A friend in LA told me King Taco is good too.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'll drop a serious reply when I get back but a lot of the recs here are from 2005.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I see they've already done westside/griffith, so here's some other possible itineraries...

DTLA - I love suggesting public transit for this, but some people hate public transit so feel free to drive and find parking...
- On your way into downtown...go to Langer's off Alvarado and buy a #19 pastrami sandwich. Do not buy anything else.
- Go to Grand Central Market. Park. Go across the street to Angel's Flight. pay the quarter for a ride up to the top or not. Then actually go across the street to Grand Central Market. Eat more - Eggslut, G&B coffee, Wexler's (get the smoked fish platter over the pastrami), Belcampo, etc. Very Gentrified, very new-Downtown.
- Take a walking tour of downtown if you're into that kinda stuff (many links online), otherwise...
- head on over to the arts district / little tokyo / chinatown to the north east corner of downtown. Also very gentrified, very new-LA. Get some sausages n beer @ Wurskuche or get his street fighter & cocktails on @ Eighty Two. Sushi Gen in little tokyo great for reasonably priced sushi dinner, but get there early cuz lines are long. They are definitely not top tier anymore (and dear god don't get their omakase), but they get such traffic and have good business relationships so their fish is uber fresh and still far superior to sushi in other states.
- wolf & crane, cool as fuck bar in little tokyo. think japanese whiskeys & cocktails.
- mosey on over to Silverlake if he wants to be in hipsterhood. Great food & coffee in the neighborhood though!
Eats: Bestia, Men Oh (Ramen), Marugame Monzo, Chego (LA/fusion)

Also good: Mid-City tour
- Head on over to LACMA & La Brea tarpits. Don't even need to pay for admission and you can still check out the good stuff - tar pits themselves, lights @ lacma, Levitated Mass @ lacma.
- Grove/Farmer's Market - a landmark, kinda touristy but still very LA. Get the toffee @ little john's in the farmer's market. Save your stomach for the good shit later.
Eats (that you can get into w/o a reservation): Animal, Chi Spacca, Republique, Terrine

Other assorted good eats in the city:
- Ricky's Fish Tacos
- Tacos Leo
- Boiling Crab
- Hoy Ka Thai Noodle

sorry man, too many too list! lmk if you got any specific recs.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
How about the Museum of Miniatures? Oh God, I got dragged there once. It was horrible.

I wish we went to the La Brea Tar Pits which wasn't far away.

My best advice is to drive down to San Diego. Much more civilized. The Zoo down there will take an entire day. While I wish I went, there is Black's Beach. I am told it is a nudist beach. I would think that the weather would be great. Just bring lots of sunscreen lotion.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
If you only like touristy stuff you're going to get bored quickly.

Go to Monterey Park and get some authentic Chinese food.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Huntington gardens first, then to downtown, Little Tokyo and do what NS1 recommended. Cannot miss the Huntington Gardens.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There are a ton of art galleries in L.A. People travel a long distance to take them in. I read that ~50 new galleries have opened there since 2013, it's becoming a more and more happening scene. Artists are fleeing NYC for L.A. It was an article in the NY Times a week or two ago. On top of that there are the museums. Visit the Sunset Strip, Hollywood Blvd., Grauman's Chinese Theater, all the stars' handprints in the cement.