Quick Tax Question....

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Hey guys,

For an internship I worked at this summer I was given a $3,000 bonus to cover relocation and moving costs.

I am currently trying to plan my finances for the rest of the year and was wondering what type of taxes I'm going to end up paying on this. Will I pay the normal tax rate, or an inflated rate (45%)?

FWIW, I'm in Massachusetts.

Thanks,
Brian

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: axelfox
They didn't withhold any taxes for you?

No. I wish they did though....

EDIT: To clarify, the bonus was disbursed through a third party relocation assistance firm. My employer did withhold taxes on my labor.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
To give you a frame of reference, I was also given a relocation bonus ($3100) for my internship and here are the numbers:

Gross Pay: 4942.85
Net Bonus: 3100.00
......Taxes: 1842.85

In other words, it was taxed around 37%.

I don't know if the same thing will apply to you, but if it does, then you can expect to owe $1110 in tax on that $3000.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
did you keep track of your actual relocation and moving costs?

That's a good point. All of the costs of moving are deductible.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It is a myth that you pay a higher tax rate on bonuses. They are typically withheld at a higher rate, but the tax you end up paying is whatever your marginal tax rate is.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

They are only deductible if you work in your new location for a certain period of time. I can't remember exactly, but it is longer than 3 months (it's more on the order of a year or two).

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

I didn't really have any costs.

I just used it to pay for my rent for the summer, at an on-campus apartment. I handled all my own moving expenses (clothes mostly) from home back to school.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
It is a myth that you pay a higher tax rate on bonuses. They are typically withheld at a higher rate, but the tax you end up paying is whatever your marginal tax rate is.

Can anyone confirm this?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you pay what you pay, them withholding at a certain rate isn't related to your taxable income, they have no way to know what that will be

if you had no expenses, then basically it is extra pay, you'll have more taxable income than last year

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
Originally posted by: mugs

Can anyone confirm this?

It's just standard income. Bonus money and salary/hourly money is no different when it comes to tax time.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
That's excellent news.

That will save me plenty of money when I'm poor next semester, heh.

Thanks ATOT!