quick question: sending my laptop back to dell for repairs

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
So I need to get my vid card replaced... in one of the emails from dell customer service, they say that I should remove the hard drive. Do they mean remove the hard disk itself??? How are they going to boot up the computer if I remove the hard drive?

Anyone ever sent their laptop back to dell for repairs??

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
If you don't remove the HD, they will not be responsible for any lost data.

They have HDs that they can use. After all, they are Dell.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Is it easy to remove?

If not, Ghost it, reformat it, send it in. If they pull your HD & keep it for some reason, you don't want to give out any personal info.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Is it easy to remove?

If not, Ghost it, reformat it, send it in. If they pull your HD & keep it for some reason, you don't want to give out any personal info.

its surprisingly easy to remove.. just remove a small screw and voila!

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Is it easy to remove?

its surprisingly easy to remove.. just remove a small screw and voila!

Then just pull it, no problems:D

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
I was suprised to hear that when my friend had to send her laptop back. On closer inspection, it slides out like a drive bay or battery, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
They don't really need it, as dartworth said they have drives they use for service repairs. Also take out your battery and any other peripheral. Send it to them as bare as possible.