Quick Question on how Win XP activation works.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
As long as the System hardware is the same, even if you do multiple reinstalls, it should activate without any problems correct ?

Thanks.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I dont understand then why, this notebook I purchased gets a invalid key error.

It was reloaded with the reinstall disc.

I get this error, when I try to update windows to windows SP1.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Unless you do lots of reactivations within a short period of time, like two weeks, you should be fine.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: isekii

What notebook. If its a reinstall cd it shouldn't need activation if the components haven't changed.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: fredtam
Originally posted by: isekii

What notebook. If its a reinstall cd it shouldn't need activation if the components haven't changed.

No components has changed, but when I go to Windows update and try to download the SP1 update, I get an invalid key error, and I can't update it.

I dont understand what the issue is.
Could the cd key located on the bottom of the notebook be used in another system ?
Could that be the problem ?

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Most likely not. If it is a major OEM notebook they are generally activated before you get it.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
This message:
Full Error Message:

'The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid. Please contact your system administrator or retailer immediately to obtain a valid Product Key. You may also contact Microsoft Corporation's Anti-Piracy Team by emailing piracy@microsoft.com if you think you have purchased pirated Microsoft software. Please be assured that any personal information you send to the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team will be kept in strict confidence.'

This error is displayed on machines where the product key that has been used to install Windows is known to be used heavily on pirated versions of Windows XP. Service Pack 1 will not install

These two product keys create a product ID that matches one of the following product IDs (where X is any numeric value): XXXXX-640-0000356-23 XXX XXXXX-640-2001765-23 XXX (Click here for how to view your product id). If you have brought what you believe to be a legal version of Windows go back to where you purchased it and ask for a legal product key.

In order to install SP1 you will need a legal version of the Windows XP Edition you are currently using, insert the CD
into your drive before Windows loads and boot from the CD (may require this function to be enabled in your computers BIOS). Once Windows XP setup has begun select R from the menu and repair the current install. This will give you the ability to change the pirate key with a new legal retail key.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
This message:
Full Error Message:

'The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid. Please contact your system administrator or retailer immediately to obtain a valid Product Key. You may also contact Microsoft Corporation's Anti-Piracy Team by emailing piracy@microsoft.com if you think you have purchased pirated Microsoft software. Please be assured that any personal information you send to the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team will be kept in strict confidence.'

This error is displayed on machines where the product key that has been used to install Windows is known to be used heavily on pirated versions of Windows XP. Service Pack 1 will not install

These two product keys create a product ID that matches one of the following product IDs (where X is any numeric value): XXXXX-640-0000356-23 XXX XXXXX-640-2001765-23 XXX (Click here for how to view your product id). If you have brought what you believe to be a legal version of Windows go back to where you purchased it and ask for a legal product key.

In order to install SP1 you will need a legal version of the Windows XP Edition you are currently using, insert the CD
into your drive before Windows loads and boot from the CD (may require this function to be enabled in your computers BIOS). Once Windows XP setup has begun select R from the menu and repair the current install. This will give you the ability to change the pirate key with a new legal retail key.

That's the exact message I got.
The reinstall doesn't boot up as a Windows XP disc unfortunately so I don't know what to do.
I jsut got the notebook today.

It was a used notebook that I purchased.
I'm reinstalling with the reinstall discs to see if it'll work that way.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Looks like your screwed as far as updates/ service packs. Call MS piracy and tell them. I doubt you will get a new key though.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Looks like your screwed as far as updates/ service packs. Call MS piracy and tell them. I doubt you will get a new key though.

Looks like i'll have to contact who I bought it from.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Has anyone ever been denied activation when they called the activation center?

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Under what conditions would you get declined? What do they say to you?

I've reactivated Windows and Office many times after reformatting and told them I upgraded/replaced my computer. It always seemed to easy I was wondering if anyone ever got declined.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Yup, looks like you got jacked. You can keep using your computer (illegally) if the SP hasn't b0rked it yet, but you wont be able to install the SP.