Quick question, gf needs new tv but....

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
My Gf needs a new tv, flatscreen ~20 inches and it looks like they are about 350 for a decent brand. However on slickdeals there is a loaded dell computer with a 24 inch monitor for 600 bucks.. could she use that monitor as a tv and i'll give her like.. 250 for the computer?

The monitor has hdcp, dvi and analog but no hdmi so I dont know how it would work as a tv..

thanks

dawza

Dec 31, 2005
If her cable box provides some type of output connector compatible with one of the Dell's inputs, it will work just fine. The monitor itself cannot do any of the decoding, as it does not have a TV tuner, but it will work just fine as a display for the decoded signal coming from the cable box.

Your average cable box should have composite and/or S-video outs; HD boxes will also include component and HDMI.

You will have to provide a set of dedicated speakers, unless you have a receiver, for audio.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
hmm...i dunno if the cut down 24" lcd that dell offers has any other inputs besides hdcp-dvi and vga...i DO know that the 2407/2408 has component, composite, s-video, dvi, vga, displayport, and hdmi (hdmi and displayport ONLY if you get the 2408).

but that monitor is fine for viewing tv through composite...ive tried it from my comcast box and although it looks like crap since its analog, its still good enough.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Well it has DVI-D and HDCP and Optimum offers an hd cable box with DVI out but I just realized it would be a pain to connect any video game systems (she plays n64 still..) or dvd players and such so I guess i'm hosed..