Quick question from a naive overclocker (begin laughing now)

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
OK, so I get my K7T Pro2-A in the mail yesterday and begin replacing my regular K7T Pro. I pop my 700 MHz Thunderbird into the new mobo (Note: this processor already had its L1 bridges connected, I didn't have to do a bloody thing, it was great) and test it out. 750, works fine. 800, fine. All the way until I hit 950. Then no POST. So, I wait, since the manual said "during overclocking, if the system hangs up, the Watch Dog TImer will automatically reboot the system". Well, it didn't work, so now I have to get the setting back to where it'll post. There is, of course, the set of pins for "Clear CMOS Jumper", but I was unsure as to whether or not that'll just reset the settings in the BIOS to default or if it'll actually wipe the damn thing clean. So I'm just checking in with you folks before clearing the CMOS and doing something I may regret. Those of you who actually have the K7T Pro2-A can probably tell me whether or not JBAT1 is what I should be messing with.

Note: I've been building systems for 4 years now, but being as this is my first time tampering with overclocking, I knew I'd make a silly mistake, so be kind.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Wiping CMOS only resets to default settings. Should be okay, haven't had a incident where you completely erase the cmos making it useless..

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Thanks to both of you (EDIT: three of you), the insert key did it, I'm back in business. While it would get to the point where it showed the processor speed, sometimes it would completely stop (wouldn't check memory) and wouldn't let me go into the BIOS settings. But, managed to get it cracking again, and sitting safely at 850 MHz right now.

JJHendrix

Oct 9, 1999
the pins on your mobo are made specifically for incidents like that.
"clearing" simply reverts to the default.