• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Quick question about the two 4-pin 12V PSU connectors

Ken90630

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2004
Hey, All,

I'm doing a new build tonight. For the life of me I can't remember whether I'm supposed to plug in just one of the 4-pin 12V power connectors (from the PSU) to the motherboard or both of them. My motherboard has an 8-pin connection, of course, and my PSU DOES have two 4-pin 12V connectors. I'll be using an I5 6500 CPU (LGA 1151), one SATA HD and one SATA DVD-RW drive. No video card or other cards. I will be running three 120mm case fans. That's it. No other hardware. No overclocking now or ever.

If you guys answer that I only need to plug one of the 4-pin 12V connectors into the motherboard, does it matter whether I plug it into the left side or right side of the 8-pin mobo connector?

If it matters, the mobo is a Gigabyte H170 HD3, and the PSU is a Seasonic Focus 450FM (450 watts).

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Page 14 of the manual shows the pin layout. You want to use both of your CPU connections on your PSU, as it won't hurt anything because that's what it has been designed to do.

Otherwise, if you want to try using only one CPU connection for whatever reason, you only want to plug in one 4-pin connections (3, 4, 7, 8 pins) which is the right side. It might boot, but it likely won't. The manual really doesn't say much in this regard.

5.jpg

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY