Quick Question about i7-3770K

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
Hey, just a quick question about the i7 K series , when you overclock this, I know you lose turbo boost because your overclocking most likely higher than Turbo Boost frequencies but do you lose hyper-threading?

Maybe a dumb/noob question, lol. Sorry if it is. Thank you. : )

Phishy714

Jun 11, 2012
In a very dumbed down way to explain it..

HyperThreading is basically 4 more "Virtual" cores that are added. Basically allows the 4 cores in the i7 to act like (and for the most part perform like) a 8 core cpu.

So no, overclocking doesn't really affect HT except that it would make the extra two virtual cores run at the overclocked speed.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005

HyperThreading is basically 2 more "Virtual" cores that are added. Basically allows the 4 cores in the i7 to act like (and for the most part perform like) a 6 core cpu.

wow, indeed.

i disagree. with a hyperthreading CPU each core will have a logical core, thus a native 4 core quad will have an additional 4 logical cores. a native dual-core will have an additional 2 logical cores

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
When you overclock you are adjusting how high the turbo boost goes. You don't loose it so much as you increase how many multiplier steps it goes. You might be doing it via the bus or CPU strap but really the whole point of the K CPUs is that you adjust the turbo multiplier to a much higher value.

Hyper threading has almost nothing to do with clock speed, its purely a feature of the CPU that is still optional and it basically makes each core look like 2 cores to the operating system (so called logical cores). In some circumstances this improves performance, in others it degrades it.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011

HyperThreading is basically 2 more "Virtual" cores that are added. Basically allows the 4 cores in the i7 to act like (and for the most part perform like) a 6 core cpu.

So no, overclocking doesn't really affect HT except that it would make the extra two virtual cores run at the overclocked speed.

Thanks for my new sig.

Phishy714

Jun 11, 2012
Geesh guys - sorry it was late and I goofed.

4 cores to 8 cores. Some people are relentless.