Quick Puzzle...

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
A fisherman sits in a boat in a mountain pool, with no flow out of it. He has a brick in the boat which he throws overboard. Does the level of the water rise, stay the same or fall, and why?
I think I've got an answer but any input is appreciated.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Rises. The brick displaces some of the water.

Edit: I missed the part about the brick being in the boat to start with. Gonna have to think about it.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
On first instinct, it's gotta be rise, but the amount is probably immeasurable, depending on the volume of the lake.

On the other hand, the extra weight in the boat is already displacing water, so changing the location of the brick from the boat to the lake *probably* would cause it to stay the same.

amish

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Stays the same. The brick's volume was already displaced when it caused the boat to ride lower in the water.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Stays the same. Since the displacement of the brick will be counteracted by decreased displacement of the boat, since it now weighs less by the weight of one brick. Hope this makes sense.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
EDIT AGAIN:

For those saying that the water line will stay the same, once the brick is dropped overboard the boat will displace less water to balance the weight of the boat, and thus the water line on the side of the boat will fall. I understand the claim that the brick displaces a certain amount of water no matter if it is in the boat or not. However, when you throw the brick overboard, the whole level of the lake will rise, and the boat will rise along with it. Therefore, the boat will ride higher in the water, and the level of the lake will rise (only slightly)

Ryan

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Well, the density of the boat decreases, so it sits higher in the water, lowering the water level. But, the volume of the brick underwater raises the water level.

However, the brick is more dense than the boat with a brick in it (as it sinks and the boat floated) so the volume displaced by the brick in the water is less than the volume displaced by the brick in the boat, so the water level falls.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Falls.

Inside the boat it's displacing it's weight in water, outside it's only displacing it's volume. (which is less)

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Argo
Stays the same. Since the displacement of the brick will be counteracted by decreased displacement of the boat, since it now weighs less by the weight of one brick. Hope this makes sense.
Woah, that was quick :D

It's the level of the water relative to the shore that I'm concerned with.
My argument is that different conditions apply for bricks with densities <= water compared to bricks with densities > water.
If a 'light' brick is in the boat, the boat displaces water equal to the mass of the boat + mass of the brick. When the brick is chucked overboard, the boat displaces water of equal mass to the boat and the brick displaces water of equal mass to the brick. The water level stays the same,
If a 'heavy' brick is in the boat, the boat displaces water equal to the mass of the boat + mass of the brick. When the brick is chucked, it displaces less than it's own mass - it sinks, displacing a <volume> of water equal to its own. The boat's still displaces its own mass in water but the total displacement decreases so the level goes down.

Does that make sense or am I talking boll*cks?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Giving it more thought it depends on the density of the brick. The amount of water displaced by the brick while it's in the boat equals volume of water that weighs the same as the brick. Amount of water displaced while the brick sinks equals to the volume of the brick. Now it all depends on the density of the brick. If it's higher than that of water - level decrease. Lower or equal - it'll stay the same, since the brick will still displace the amount of water equal to it's weight.

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Falls.

Inside the boat it's displacing it's weight in water, outside it's only displacing it's volume. (which is less)
Ah, you posted that as I was typing... I think that's correct, assuming the brick has a density greater than water.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Woodchuck2000
Originally posted by: Argo
Woah, that was quick :D

It's the level of the water relative to the shore that I'm concerned with.
My argument is that different conditions apply for bricks with densities <= water compared to bricks with densities > water.
If a 'light' brick is in the boat, the boat displaces water equal to the mass of the boat + mass of the brick. When the brick is chucked overboard, the boat displaces water of equal mass to the boat and the brick displaces water of equal mass to the brick. The water level stays the same,
If a 'heavy' brick is in the boat, the boat displaces water equal to the mass of the boat + mass of the brick. When the brick is chucked, it displaces less than it's own mass - it sinks, displacing a <volume> of water equal to its own. The boat's still displaces its own mass in water but the total displacement decreases so the level goes down.

Does that make sense or am I talking boll*cks?

Yes, that's what I said. If the brick is more dense than water, the level will go down.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Originally posted by: lirion
Stays the same. The brick's volume was already displaced when it caused the boat to ride lower in the water.
Yup.

No. In the boat, it displaced its weight worth of water. It is denser than water, so this is more than the brick's volume worth. When you drop it in the lake, it only displaces its volume worth, which is less, so the level of the lake falls. You can probably test this with a cup/bowl of water, a paper "board", and some coins.

herme5

May 12, 2003
The water level drops. If it is assumed that the brick sinks, then the water level drops. The displacement of water is more with bouyancy is taken into the equation. Think of a log that floats... if it floats it would displace more water than if you were to decrease the size and increase the density (to make it sink).
In the same way, the boat acts as the floating object.... As long as it floats above the water it displaces more than if it sunk. The brick adds to the amount being displaced. Once dropped out of the boat, it becomes a object that only displaces by volume of a dense object.
It is a tricky question, but fun. Thanks.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Throwing bricks into lakes is bad for the wildlife, therefore this question should be stricken from the record.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Throwing bricks into lakes is bad for the wildlife, therefore this question should be stricken from the record.

:D

Seriously though, this is (was?) a pretty neat puzzle :)

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: royaldank
I'm voting it says the same.

BTW: When will you know the actual answer?
I'm not entirely sure.... It was on a hydrostatics problem sheet and I don't know when its being marked.
Thanks for all the responses guys, I got my brain in a twist trying to figure it out and it's handy to bounce ideas off people.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: CTho9305
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Originally posted by: lirion
Yup.

No. In the boat, it displaced its weight worth of water. It is denser than water, so this is more than the brick's volume worth. When you drop it in the lake, it only displaces its volume worth, which is less, so the level of the lake falls. You can probably test this with a cup/bowl of water, a paper "board", and some coins.
You are right, I didn't think about this very long. In order to recover a cubic foot of lead from the bottom of a lake with a float, it would take many cubic feet of air to raise it (cubic foot of water is ~65lbs I think). If it were sitting in a boat, it would displace the amount of water needed to buoy it. It comes down to a density factor.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
drop

originally, the weight of water displaced is the same weight as the brick. water is lighter than bricks (lower density to be exact) so the volume is greater than the volume of the brick.

now you drop in the brick, the volume of water displaced is less.