Quick linux question

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
The link in the linux sticky suggests Samba can; and a Samba how-to guide also suggests it.

But what I'm wondering is whether it could replace active directory to the point where people can have roaming profiles in NTFS. (or can Samba mimic a NTFS system without the partitions being NTFS-ready?)

This is probably the umpteenth time I've considered trying linux and could be the fourth time I've actually done so. (All previous attempts ended in miserable failure; I still haven't figured it out. I think it's too much for me to take in all at once...)

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I know it can join an AD now, I'm not sure about replacing all the DCs though.

CCrunnernb

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
My linux box has roaming profiles and acts as a PDC, I haven't tried doing the open directory stuff yet :p

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
DC?
PDC?
Open directory?
(I'm a bit of a newbie to all this; I never sat down and figured AD out since all I wanted was a network drive and shared printing of a non network-ready printer)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: xjedimasterx
PDC?
Open directory?
(I'm a bit of a newbie to all this; I never sat down and figured AD out since all I wanted was a network drive and shared printing of a non network-ready printer)

PDC is a term from the NT4 days. It's the Primary Domain Controller. They worked with BDCs, Backup Domain Controllers.

Not sure what Open Directory is, unless it's a term relating to Active Directory's LDAP-ish features.