Quick job Question

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Anyone have trouble getting a career starting job out of college and run low on cash? Then have to go get a none career type job (ie server, cashier, etc) to pay bills and such?

If so, how soon did you leave that job for a "career" job?

I'm looking for a job currently (business degree in the inland Northwest), but there doesn't seem to be many openings and I'm considering getting a job doing what i used to do before college (waiting tables and manual labor type jobs) while I'm looking for a career job, but I worry if that will look bad on my resume and in interviews.

Anyone have any hind-sight advice they are willing to give?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
It will not look bad. It could mean you didn't plan quite far enough ahead to start looking for a job early enough. They know the job was just meant to pay the bills. You will have no problems leaving for your career job.

I had no problems but I was looking quite early on compared to my peers.

Koing

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
I have been looking since December, but unfortunately I was not sure if I would need a summer class or not to graduate and in my area there just are not a lot of entry-level business jobs. I worked at DirecTV's call center here the year before I went back to college full-time and I knew of 6 people with college degrees working $9/hour call center jobs waiting for that one management job to open up. One of them had been there over 3 years. Seems what a lot of people in this area do to get in management, work a general labor job 2-3 years making almost no money and hope for a promotion. Personally I'm thinking I need to start looking in a larger area, but until I can find a career job I could really use some income.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: effee
ah, the elusive first job!

Thats kind of my problem as well. I have been an assistant manager before, but it was in a restaurant (not full service) so it doesn't seem to qualify as management experience when I'm applying to jobs, but on the other hand when I apply for the entry-level training job I always hear something like "you sure your not over qualified for this job". Feels like a catch 22 to me so far. :(