Quick help please (please!) - installing i7 CPU

Jul 29, 2006
This is only the second time I've installed a cpu and the last time it was a conroe. I don't remember the details, I just remember it took a scary amount of pressure to close the load plate but it all worked out.

I just put the cpu in now and I'm scared all over again. I'm 100% sure its aligned properly, its sitting in the socket perfectly evenly, everything is lined up, the little arrow is where it should be. I sucked it up and applied a scary amount of force (although still, not that much) and i got the load lever back in place, but it is under a lot of tension. Its just slightly bowed out. For some reason I imagine (or remember?) that there should be sort of a point at which it just snaps into place and is not constantly being bent up.

Did I do this right? After panicking a little, I undid the lever, pulled the cpu and checked everything. No pins looked bent, cpu appears fine. I put it back in and redid the load plate and load pin. It works, its just like the pin is really causing a steady force pushing down the load plate, and I just don't remember it being that way with the conroe (which in fairness I don't remember very well at all).

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

And the lever isn't severely bent or anything, its just bowed out a tiny bit from the pressure of holding the plate down.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Yes! On my P6T6 WS Rev the lever is actually held in a bent position bowing upward when clipped. Does not do this on the EVGA classified although that socket is made differently. As long as you're sure the chip is sitting flat on the pins you should be fine.

DanK414

Oct 21, 2002
You reminded of me of when I first installed an AMD processor :) Those things were very tight from tension. As long as you follow the side triangle arrow on cpu to mb it's almost guaranteed that you wont fub the pins or the processor. Glad everything went w/o a hitch.