Quick eBay question

l6873

Sep 9, 2005
If a seller offers you a second chance to buy an item, can they offer it to you for a price that's lower than your highest bid?

Here's the situation:

I bid $100 for an item
I get outbid
Winner doesn't want to pay
I get a second chance offer for $100
I negotiate down to $50 with the seller

How do I pay $50 for it?

The seller told me to do the 'buy it now' with $100 and just send $50 instead, but if they want to be an asshole they could file a complaint saying I only payed half.

So is it possible for the seller to chose the second chance offer amount?

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Nigerian scammer ? couple of months ago (when i was bidding on ebay for some stuff), I was getting 2nd chance offers from those Nigerian scammers Honestly, if you negotiated down to 50% of your bid price and the price seems too good to be true, be carefull.

How is the english of the seller ? And what are his payment requirements ?

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: l6873
If a seller offers you a second chance to buy an item, can they offer it to you for a price that's lower than your highest bid?

Here's the situation:

I bid $100 for an item
I get outbid

How do I pay $50 for it?

The seller told me to do the 'buy it now' with $100 and just send $50 instead, but if they want to be an asshole they could file a complaint saying I only payed half.

If the seller is legit all they have to do is to send you a request for payment through Paypal to an email address that you provide to them. The request should be for $50 and that's all you pay.

imported_Jdo

Mar 31, 2008
Originally posted by: dud

Here's the situation:

I bid $100 for an item
I get outbid

How do I pay $50 for it?

If the seller is legit all they have to do is to send you a request for payment through Paypal to an email address that you provide to them. The request should be for $50 and that's all you pay.

Correct. Don't just pay $50 in the regular way you pay otherwise he might complain and try to get more. Tell him to make a payment request specifically for $50 and send it to you.

Throwmeabone

Jan 9, 2006
Originally posted by: Jdo

Here's the situation:

I bid $100 for an item
I get outbid

How do I pay $50 for it?

Correct. Don't just pay $50 in the regular way you pay otherwise he might complain and try to get more. Tell him to make a payment request specifically for $50 and send it to you.

But now that's outside of eBay and that auction.

The idea of second chance offer is to give the second highest bidder another chance to get the item for the highest amount he was willing to. The amount can't be changed.

imported_Jdo

Mar 31, 2008
Originally posted by: Throwmeabone
Originally posted by: Jdo

Here's the situation:

I bid $100 for an item
I get outbid

How do I pay $50 for it?

But now that's outside of eBay and that auction.

The idea of second chance offer is to give the second highest bidder another chance to get the item for the highest amount he was willing to. The amount can't be changed.

You are right but you see he has already negotiated a price lower than the second chance amount. At this point, the OP is playing it outside ebay's rules anyway and this particular auction. There's no sense now in using the buy-it-now option and it's risky too.