Questions regarding the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro and Accelero s1 rev 2

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Hey all - I'm considering the Arctic Cooling accelero S1 rev2 or the Twin Turbo Pro to replace my (annoyingly loud) stock 4890 cooler. I'm not exactly an expert at messing about with aftermarket coolers, and was wondering if there was anyone, who had some experience with either of these coolers:

1. I see some people reporting, that they can't control the fan speed of the TTP with catalyst, although that should be possible, evidently - any experiences with that?

2. I've seen reports that the VRM heat sinks are terrible, which is why some people started recommending the Zalman ZH-RHS90. See for example:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=307072
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=310039

Apparently it won't fit together with the Accelero (without some serious handywork) Will it fit together with the TTP? Or do I have other/better options?

3. Does the TTP need separate power for its fans, as in separate from the power supplied to the graphics card? I suspect this is a really stupid question, but I'm not really used to messing about with my PSU, and am worried that I might find it difficult. (The installation guides I've seen always seem to skip this point by just mentioning the 7V/12V adapter - which makes me think I'm missing something obvious)

I posted these questions in another thread, but the questions were probably going out of topic there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have an accelero S1 R2 on my 4890, with 2 antec 92mm fans tied to it on low. For VRM/memory cooling, unscrew the red metal portion of the reference cooler that has the thermal pads for mem/VRM and mount it back to the card, it doesn't interfere with the accelero and cools well enough (just make sure you keep some airflow around that portion of the card)

386DX

Feb 11, 2010
I purchased a TTP awhile ago to replace the stock cooler of my Powercolor 4890 (non reference card) and wow it made a world of difference. My case is pretty cramp and with the stock cooler I couldn't keep the temp low enough to keep the fan from throttling past 49% (the point where it starts to becoming annoyingly loud). With the TTP its whisper quiet and temps are 20+ degrees cooler.

Regarding fan control with Catalyst it is possible with the TTP. I'm guessing the people who cannot control the fan is using the 4-pin molex connector hooking up directly to the PSU instead of the mini 3/4 pin connector on the video card. The TTP comes with adapter cables for all the connectors. It might also be that the card is running alot cooler that the fan speed never changes. I at first though Catalyst wasn't able to control the fan speed because the fan always seem to be stuck at 33% but its because the temperatures so low it doesn't have to throttle the fan up.

Regarding the VRM cooling issue. The VRM sinks that come with the TTP does look kinda weak so I never used them. I just kept the VRM sink that was already on the card there was enough clearance with the TTP without any mods needed. My 4890 card didn't have any RAM sinks on it so I did use the RAM sinks that came with the TTP since having some is better then not. Hope that helps.

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Thank you both for your answers - they really helped me understand my options!

The one question I have left is about supplying power to the TTP. When removing your stock cooler and replacing it with the TTP, do you now need + 1 power cable from the PSU as opposed to when using the stock cooler (i.e. one to the graphics card and one to the TTP)? Is power supplied through the fan control pin connector (is that possible)?
I'm a little embarrassed asking this, as - like I mentioned in my first post - I suspect this is an obvious and/or stupid question, but I'm not really used to messing about with my PSU

386DX

Feb 11, 2010
Nope you don't need an extra power cable from the PSU if you use the TTP. It comes with a 3 and 4 pin mini connector that should plug into the video card where the old fan plugged into retaining fan speed control.

It also comes with an optional 4-pin molex connector that you can use to run the fan directly off the PSU instead of the video card connector, I believe if you run off the PSU you will lose fan speed control and the fan will always run at full speed.

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Great, thanks a lot! Well, I think I'll opt for the TTP, just to be safe and "overcool", so to speak. It also seemed a bit simpler to install (although that's only based on viewing different video installation guides). Wish me luck!

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
I have a TTP on a non-reference 4870. The card had a proprietary fan connector for the original HSF so I've got connected to 4-pin molex. It's audible with the 12V adapter, but there is a 7V adapter that is significantly quieter and you'll only lose a couple degrees of cooling.