Questions OCing 2500+

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I got my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe MB recently and im eager to OC it. However i can seemto get it past 2800+. When i move the multiplier up more it underclocks A LOT. Is this because anything above 2800+ is a 400MHZ FSB chip. So do i then have to increase the FSB to 200 and multiplier to 11. Or is this just a known issue.
Kevin Boyd

A7N8X-E Deluxe
2500+@ 2700+
512Mb Kingston Value Ram DDR 333
Geforce 2 Ti 64Mb DDR (Need upgrade huh)
AMD cooling fan w/ CPU running at 121F (when i OC more will i need to worry about overheating?)
Chieftec Dragon case w/ 2 case fans and window

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
If that chip is locked, you can't raise the multiplier in the BIOS and you can only OC by raising the FSB. Did you try running at 11x200?

Also, the Kingston DDR333 RAM (if you are using it) may be holding you back. It's meant to run at a 166 FSB (333) and may not make it to 200. Trying upping the Vcore (CPU) and memory voltages and see if that helps.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I haven't tried that config 11x200. However my chip is unlocked. I have it at 12.0x on the multiplier right now to attain my 2700+ speeds. Should i back off my timings on my memory to something like 3T for CAS latency. An with this M/B i can set my memory to runat a fraction of my CPU i can still tell it to run at its current speed by setting it to 83%. Would that be a better idea. Oh yeah one more thing am i going to have any probs with cooling. Im using a chieftec dragon with 2 fans 1 rear one in the front and a stock AMD cooler with thermal grease.
Thanks,
Kevin Boyd

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Kevin, the stock hsf is enough, but you have to have case airflow, to be able to use case cooling. The minimum that I've heard of working is one input fan, and one exhaust fan. If you run your memory asychronous (out of syc) with your processor, it destroys the performance of the Athlons. You'd be better off keeping the memory in syc, and not overclocked, until you can afford to buy some low-latency PC3200 memory (that's 400mhz ram). This XMS Low Latency is supposed to be excellent memory, and they even test it on the same board that you own, so it will definitely work with it. Value ram doesn't overclock, man.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Is there designated input fans or output fans. I have to that came with my chieftec dragon case. Do i just reverse one? I tried using 200x11 OC to get my 3200 speeds but the computer wouldn't even post :(. Since i obviously need new memory what should i do first. New memory or new video card as my vid card is just a weeeeee bit out of date (Geforce 2 TI 64mb ddr). That cant OC over 40Mhz faster than stock either.
Ive been working with computers for about 10 years now and i need some information on the basics of O/Cing. I usually mildly O/C but nothing seriously but now i wanna do some more serious O/Cing. The thing i need to know about most is voltage settings. Anything about voltage settings.
Thanks,
Kevin Boyd

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
No i didn't up the voltage at all. The only thing im not familiar with is voltages. Can anyone give me a short run down of voltages and tell me what i need to put my VDIMM at.
Kevin Boyd

edmundoab

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2003
www.facebook.com
just try bumping to 2.7 and see if the comp will boot,
gradually go up,
i've set mine at 2.8V before....
but then I had a PC3200 ddr400 running at ddr 422

mato7742

Dec 28, 2003
raise your vcore to 1.7, try bumping it up, if it doesn't work at 1.7, don't go higher (even though it may boot, i guarantee it won't be stable with that ram). by the way, you need to try that while your ram is in sync with your cpu.

if none of that works, just go out and buy some new pc3200+ :D ram. i used to use a gig of kingston pc2700 value ram, and i could never bump my barton up past 2800+ with anything. trust me, save yourself some time and money(if you sell that pc2700) and just get some new ram.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I tried a few voltages and the ol PC wont even Post. No doubt in my mind that the RAM is the problem. Now the question is what type should i get. My top three choices are Corsair, OCZ, Geil. I have also heard OK things about Kingston Hyper X. Im prob going to get 3200 memory but which brand is better?