Questions & help - Eve online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: novasatori
damn dude

change the font size in options
there is voice chat in game I think, gotta be in fleet though - I only just started playing again a week ago or so, so I'm not really sure.

I have the font size turned all the way up. At 1920x1200 I have to just about have my face planted against the monitor to read them. I have a 24" monitor and almost 20/20 vision. I'm sorry a size 12 font just does not cut it.

Lots of folks with larger monitors agree with you. Been something that's been requested for a bit but nothing has been done about. I would recommend joining a newb friendly corp as they can help you learn the game and enjoy it more. I'd put mine up normally but we really aren't into the mining side anymore. The only mining we do is moon mining for supplemental income. most of the time we blow stuff up. I know that there's at least one ATer with a newb friendly corp that visits this forum. I'm sure he'll post in this thread soon enough.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I guess that would be me with a new player friendly corp.

Now I started my day blowing up 2 BS and a BC and then shot at a POS for a while, so it isn't like we run level 1 missions all day, but we do accept new players (not trial account).

Look up Myrdin Potter in the game. The corp I'm in (I'm a director) has many active miners and we are used to having newer players and helping them through the learning curve. Eve university is another corp that provides that option.

Michael

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Alright I've finally worked out some of these issues and thanks to everyone for their input.
One thing I've yet to find is a guide to materials(asteroids) that tells the value of each rock/mineral/chemical whether dense or mass or what have you. At this point there are so many I'm not sure which ones I should be going after.
The best thing about this game is the incredible amount of options for leveling up.
The worst thing about it is that it is wrapped in an interface that is in no way, shape or form intuitive.
I am pleased with the game however. It is already quite rewarding after buying my first ship and I'm already focused on a strategy that shouldn't take too long to implement.
I plan on using some sort of a tough frigate for mining but building up the ship a little with missiles and warp enhancers so that I can take advantage of unsuspecting neophytes and at the same time have the ability to run if I get in over my head. This really is a game for people with little or no life. WOW has nothing EVE. I can't believe how easy it is to waste an entire day.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Hey Michael, I'm on my second trial and will be subscribing when this ticks down to 1 day. I joined a random tiny corp based on promises of organized mining, but so far the other corp members seem more intent on popping cans and bumping miners, which I'm not so sure about. Does your corp have set up mining locations and miners that actually know what they are doing?

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Our miners know what they're doing. We don't do many "mass mining" events, but if you wanted to get with a few miners and work as a team there are plenty that'll work with you.

Michael

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
hey guys, i just started and chose to bea miner. What skills should i train first? I've been told to train Iron will, Learning Rank, and spatial awareness before spaceship frigate, is that a good choice?

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Flammable
Originally posted by: JRich
What system are you in?

currently in tsukuras(sp?)

That's only 15 jumps from me :)

I know there's a thread over at the EVE forums about which skills to train first.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
any one know an effective way to make money?

missions, mining, agents, industry, science, corps... etc

(w/e you do in eve, you can make money, lol)

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Originally posted by: videogames101

the only profitable thing i can think of doing is hauling

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: videogames101

the only profitable thing i can think of doing is hauling

That's not going to make you much. I'd stick with missions (pretty good pay. low startup costs), mining (it's not very profitable either, low startup though), and then move into industry/science because they are costly to startup and require much more experience (being able to deduce what is profitable where and when, etc) but can be very profitable.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Alright I've finally worked out some of these issues and thanks to everyone for their input.
One thing I've yet to find is a guide to materials(asteroids) that tells the value of each rock/mineral/chemical whether dense or mass or what have you. At this point there are so many I'm not sure which ones I should be going after.
The best thing about this game is the incredible amount of options for leveling up.
The worst thing about it is that it is wrapped in an interface that is in no way, shape or form intuitive.
I am pleased with the game however. It is already quite rewarding after buying my first ship and I'm already focused on a strategy that shouldn't take too long to implement.
I plan on using some sort of a tough frigate for mining but building up the ship a little with missiles and warp enhancers so that I can take advantage of unsuspecting neophytes and at the same time have the ability to run if I get in over my head. This really is a game for people with little or no life. WOW has nothing EVE. I can't believe how easy it is to waste an entire day.

hahaha, your going to get schooled so badly......

First off, you cant gank people in high sec (With rare exceptions you can, but you aint gonna find that exception).
If you shoot someone in high sec you WILL die. The popo gonna come kills you deaded. (For the experienced, yes, theres exceptions. He aint gonna have them for a while)

Secondly, you dont "Mount a few missiles". NO mining boat is gonna last in a fight. (Again, yes exceptions but they are rare and set you back hundreds of millions).

Lastly, with a tough mining frig by the time your in over your head you probably arent going to be able to run. The rats you encounter you should be able to deal with without having to run or you should already be running when they show up. Simply put, a warp core stab is a wasted slot for mining where your mining, and in fact is a wasted slot most of the time. You need cargo expanders or those mining upgrade things.

Mining drones really aarent all that impressive. They help, but honestly I'd take combat drones first. Put the drones on the rats while you mine.

Lastly, jet can mining is your friend. If you do however realize you could have someone steal it from you. If they do steal it from you DO NOT shoot them as much as you may want to. .Never, ever shoot anyone in high sec until your experienced. And that doesnt mean being able to fly a battlecruiser.

Enjoy Eve. I got tired of it and recently cancelled my account. Never did get that Machariel I wanted.......Such a beautiful ship........Wanted a nano Mach. Nothing says "Your gonna die" like a nano mach.

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Specop 007

First off, you cant gank people in high sec (With rare exceptions you can, but you aint gonna find that exception).
If you shoot someone in high sec you WILL die. The popo gonna come kills you deaded. (For the experienced, yes, theres exceptions. He aint gonna have them for a while)

Secondly, you dont "Mount a few missiles". NO mining boat is gonna last in a fight. (Again, yes exceptions but they are rare and set you back hundreds of millions).

Lastly, with a tough mining frig by the time your in over your head you probably arent going to be able to run. The rats you encounter you should be able to deal with without having to run or you should already be running when they show up. Simply put, a warp core stab is a wasted slot for mining where your mining, and in fact is a wasted slot most of the time. You need cargo expanders or those mining upgrade things.

Mining drones really aarent all that impressive. They help, but honestly I'd take combat drones first. Put the drones on the rats while you mine.

Lastly, jet can mining is your friend. If you do however realize you could have someone steal it from you. If they do steal it from you DO NOT shoot them as much as you may want to. .Never, ever shoot anyone in high sec until your experienced. And that doesnt mean being able to fly a battlecruiser.

Enjoy Eve. I got tired of it and recently cancelled my account. Never did get that Machariel I wanted.......Such a beautiful ship........Wanted a nano Mach. Nothing says "Your gonna die" like a nano mach.

you have the right to shoot them if they loot your jetcan. your whole fleet has the right and CONCORD will not engage.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Not your fleet, your corporation. They changed that a couple of patches ago.

Michael

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007

you have the right to shoot them if they loot your jetcan. your whole fleet has the right and CONCORD will not engage.

And I gauren-damned-tee you if their stickin their fingers in your jetcan, you WONT beat them. Which means shooting them is going to equal death for you.

Now, if your in a small ship it makes a great test to see how quickly a combat ship will cut through a miner. Or if your really spiffy you can name your jetcan "you" or something and warp scram it and hope the theif is a noob but point is if your mining in high sec you better get it firmly set in your mind your nothing but cannon fodder and dont even bother equipping weapons.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
just join a decent corp and go flashy. Or go to 0.0, Either way most of the people in high-sec are retarded.