Questions for those who sell alot on eBay

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Just started selling a bunch...not trying to make it full time...but I was
wondering for those who do, or get close, how well you do.

How many auctions do you list a week?

How many winning auctions do you have a week?

How much profit, in dollars, do you average on each auction?

What's your average profit percentage?

What kind of stuff do you sell?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I list anywhere from 0-50 auctions a week. Maybe 50% fixed price, 50% auctions. It's difficult to say how much average I get per auction since it varies from $10 minimum to $50 or higher. I sell all sorts of stuff.

Noirish

Diamond Member
May 2, 2000
One thing about selling is - know your base price.
So whatever over that is your profit.
I hate it when people list a reserved auction.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Have the fees been increased?

Somewhat, it doesn't affect lower priced items as much as expensive ones.

Make yourself a niche and fill it. I used to do a lot of import games, usually make anywhere from $5 to $100 (10-200%) profit per sale, the thing I liked about it was that the market was extremely predictable so I knew roughly how much I could get for a particular game. Also dealt with antiques and old collectibles, as well as random stuff I found at garage sales (yeah for spring!). Except for items that I knew would have a harder time selling such as certain antiques, usually I start my stuff at $1, final price for popular items will come out to be the same no matter what the starting price so why waste listing fees?

At most I posted about 20-30auctions every other week, that way I had a week to take care of shipping and payment before I had to take care of the next batch. I'd say about 80% of my transactions would end successfully, the remaining 20% would be splitt between auctions that didn't meet the reserve (I rarely set them, only in special cases), bidder backed out, NPB, or a late payment.

I guess I averaged about $600-1000 in profit a month, which wasn't too bad considering I would spend about 5hours a week managing my auctions.