Questions for my attempt to try Linux

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I know, these must get boring, another Windows user trying on Linux to see if it fits their daily needs.
Ok, let's get some things out of the way that I use Windows for that I don't plan on using Linux for. I'll be booting to the Win10 ssd when needed both out of convenience and familiarity with workflow.

- Gaming (but willing to try Linux setups, Wine, etc)
- Video Editing (I'm too familiar with the software I use on Windows to edit my film projects)
- Audio and image editing (I do this a lot as well in software I'm already too familiar with, but willing to try new things)

So Linux is simply what my wife and I want to use as our daily computer which means browsing, bill paying, productivity, email, etc. There is a long list of Windows software that we like (small programs, greeting card software, media library organizers, etc) and are hoping it's all usable through Linux and if not we'll find something similar. The cloud of not knowing what Microsoft mines from our computer in daily use bothers us too much. We don't keep a "smart" home although we do keep a very tech-y home so the argument that "you're probably giving away info elsewhere" doesn't work with us.

Tech/gear-wise:
- We have a SAMBA share with our Rpi2 on our home network that we'd like to keep using
- We have printers and a scanner (rather old that works with irfanview only because it has no Win10 drivers) that we need to keep using
- a Logitech wireless F710 game controller and a 360 controller for games

There's my background info. Questions...

1. What can we replace OneNote and OneDrive with that also is accessible via our Android phones? We need to be able to read, edit and create notes on phones, computer, notebooks without problems.
2. We like being able to read and manipulate Word and Excel documents from various places as well (different devices at home and out). Without using Office365 or Google Docs does this have a solution?
3. I at first felt like Mint was the best choice for me because I didn't like the Amazon integration on Ubuntu (I know it's gone now), don't like the data collection I've heard about on Ubuntu, and I hate how much Ubuntu looks like Apple to me (the dock, the fonts, etc). And the more I read, the more people tell me Ubuntu is actually a rather bad recommendation for someone new to Minux. Obviously as a new Linux person who's decent enough at more complex computing functions, is there one I should choose of those two or maybe something else? Obviously readily available support is important to me.
4. Any further things you think we may not be considering enough or haven't though of, please feel free. We want to learn. That's the whole point here. We know it's a process and are expecting that.

Thanks!!!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Linux Mint isn't a bad choice at all and both controllers should work. And if you are using Steam for games, then chances are that you already have some Linux native ones.

2) LibreOffice will work but you will need to install MS fonts
3) The user Forums for Linux Mint have very friendly posters and they are welcoming to users new to Linux.
4) Watch these videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoryWpk4QVYKFCJul9KBdyw
And this guy's https://www.youtube.com/user/BadEditPro

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
2) LibreOffice will work but you will need to install MS fonts
So Libre Office can save to some kind of cloud storage the way I do now with Office and OneDrive? I need to be able to edit docs and spreadsheets on the go or at home on various devices.

Any thoughts on Zorin?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So Libre Office can save to some kind of cloud storage the way I do now with Office and OneDrive? I need to be able to edit docs and spreadsheets on the go or at home on various devices.

Any thoughts on Zorin?
That I don't know I afraid. Zorin I have no experience with.

I'm using Manjaro Linux, and while it is a Rolling Release Distro based off of Arch, it very easy to install and everything just works OOTB depending on Hardware. Plus, and a big one is that their Forum is one of the best if you ask me.
https://manjaro.org/

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
That I don't know I afraid. Zorin I have no experience with.

I'm using Manjaro Linux, and while it is a Rolling Release Distro based off of Arch, it very easy to install and everything just works OOTB depending on Hardware. Plus, and a big one is that their Forum is one of the best if you ask me.
https://manjaro.org/
Interesting, a couple of online tools for finding a good distro based on your interests and needs both brought up Manjaro for me among Zorin and others. I'll have a look although my knowledge is so limited, I don't know what I'm looking for anyway. When you don't know Linux well, you have this fear that if not enough people are on your distro, you'll be all alone when looking for help.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Interesting, a couple of online tools for finding a good distro based on your interests and needs both brought up Manjaro for me among Zorin and others. I'll have a look although my knowledge is so limited, I don't know what I'm looking for anyway. When you don't know Linux well, you have this fear that if not enough people are on your distro, you'll be all alone when looking for help.
No matter what Distro you choose, I advise you to RTFM beforehand and use the distro's Forum. When asking questions, be polite and provide information when asked.

Manjaro is fairly sizeable with a new user friendly Forum as does Linux Mint.

Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
@tinpanalley How is your Linux research going?
Hey, @whm1974
I've been watching videos, I've been reading this, I've been using sites that recommend distros to you based on certain criteria you answer questions about, and previous advice I had received elsewhere and Zorin keeps showing up as well as Mint and Manjaro. I love that Zorin is starting to make itself touch screen friendly, just shows a certain degree of thinking forward and to tablet device integration and I also like how much they feature connectivity to Android. But if anything scares me it's that it's quite simply not talked about as much. The community, I'm guessing, is smaller.

So that's where I'm at. Thanks for asking! Any thoughts?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hey, @whm1974
I've been watching videos, I've been reading this, I've been using sites that recommend distros to you based on certain criteria you answer questions about, and previous advice I had received elsewhere and Zorin keeps showing up as well as Mint and Manjaro. I love that Zorin is starting to make itself touch screen friendly, just shows a certain degree of thinking forward and to tablet device integration and I also like how much they feature connectivity to Android. But if anything scares me it's that it's quite simply not talked about as much. The community, I'm guessing, is smaller.

So that's where I'm at. Thanks for asking! Any thoughts?
For your first distro I would pick one with a large and friendly community. Do you have a spare machine? If you do you can use that for testing first.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
For your first distro I would pick one with a large and friendly community. Do you have a spare machine? If you do you can use that for testing first.
I'm gonna be putting it on a separate hdd to boot to Windows whenever I need to so there's nothing risked.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Actually that is highly recommend to do that if you have both Windows and Linux on the same system.
I'm gonna read more about Mint, Majora, KDE Neon, Zorin, Kubuntu, and OpenSUSE which the two distro choosers seem to be recommending to me.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I could be stating the obvious, but I'll do it anyway: Try out distros in a VM. You can also share data between host and VM in order to try out things with data you're familiar with (backups as always are a good idea though).

Also, I use Lubuntu 18.04 LTS as my primary OS but that doesn't stop me having two Windows VMs in order to cut back on reasons to have to boot into Win10.

Btw @tinpanalley you haven't mentioned why you're thinking of changing.

It might also be worth asking around to find out which version of a given distro is 'preferred'. Admittedly my impression that the preferences are partly due to "it's the devil you know over the devil you don't", but also I had to use a later version of Lubuntu on a customer's PC because of hardware support and Lubuntu 18.10 wasn't as 'finished' as 18.04 was, IMO - missing odd bits of support (IIRC the 'Disks' program was missing from 18.10 but was in 18.04), things not working as I expected, it just didn't seem as polished. Nothing show-stopper'ish, but if you dip your toe in the water and draw the short straw of a version that's not quite so great, well, first impressions last.

I think two things drew me to Lubuntu - despite having oodles of RAM, it was a refreshing change to find an OS that used half the RAM of other modern alternatives. Second thing was that Windows + R and Windows + E both worked as desired out of the box. I'm sure it's possible to make other distros do the same, but there are times when I'd prefer not to have to fight for every thing I want :) My first exposure also coloured me away from Mint - a customer's PC sometimes would boot from a Mint CD and sometimes not, but always did from Lubuntu.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
No idea.
I dont even know what I'm looking at or why one is preferable over any other.
Basically it a personally thing. Some users have a better workflow with one DE over an other. Xfce is a good choice for new users and it does have a nice degree of customization.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Btw @tinpanalley you haven't mentioned why you're thinking of changing.
- My wife and I like to constantly be learning and Linux is an area I've not gone towards because I didn't feel there was enough reason to in the past.
- We like the open source nature of Linux and its software, but there are open source programs on Windows, it's more that my wife and I have become increasingly irritated with the level of control we give over to media and tech companies in exchange for the illusion of features, efficiency, and UX.
- We like the idea that there is software like Libre Office that people we know use without having to pay for it. And while we don't mind paying for software, we don't like the subscription service model everyone seems to be going to now. We're 20th century people :smile:, we liked going to the store, grabbing Office off the shelf and paying for it. I will never give money to Microsoft to get access to an online word processor and spreadsheet program that I need an internet connection to use. I don't care if it's mostly usable offline as well, the business model annoys us.
- We're sick of HAVING to accept the increasingly invasive things that Windows asks of its customers during installation.
- As I become better at Windows, I am increasingly annoyed by updates that break tiny features in gaming or in basic functionality from a company that has the billions to have the best testers in the world.
- We're not Windows power users and use online connectivity on our PC only to browse, do online purchasing and banking, and to connect to sports broadcast services (MLB.TV, DAZN, NHL.TV, etc) via web browsers. Meaning, we don't game online, we don't watch entertainment or listen to music online, so MS's super intergrated, super connected, sync your bowel movements and get instant notifications about pointless subject 'X' isn't in any way enticing to us. In fact, I run Windows 7 completely offline on another hdd ONLY to run certain programs and games that no longer run on Windows 10. Every now and then, independent Windows applications for music management, video and audio tools, require me to use command line instructions and having grown up on MS-DOS there is something about that that some GUIs just can' compete with. The point is I'm dual booting anyway, so nothing "you'll miss about the MS world" is relevant in our case.
- I like the lower dependency on specs and not having to do a hard reinstall whenever Windows decides it doesn't want to work properly.

...I think that's about it.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Basically it a personally thing. Some users have a better workflow with one DE over an other. Xfce is a good choice for new users and it does have a nice degree of customization.
Right, ok. But I still wish there was a list of all of them explaining why each was made.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
You can install several desktop environments for a distro and switch between them.
Oh cool, I had no idea. Good to know
This Wiki Article from Arch Linux explains more and has a list of them. I don't recommend Arch for beginners as it is advance but a lot of it's Wiki does appy to other distros.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_environment
Fantastic. Yeah, that goes with the recommendations those sites have given me, I've never seen an Arch distro recommended based on my criteria.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Both Switch to Linux and Joe Collins YouTube channels have videos explaining some of the DEs and comparisons of them.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You can install several desktop environments for a distro and switch between them.

I was under the impression that this is a bad idea - though maybe if you take a xubuntu install and install lubuntu-desktop on it?

Insofar as it could get messy.

Reactions: tinpanalley

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I was under the impression that this is a bad idea - though maybe if you take a xubuntu install and install lubuntu-desktop on it?

Insofar as it could get messy.

I'm not Linux guy. I just experiment once switching DE and it worked.

There would be some compatibility issues I'm sure, but really have no exact ideas.

And yes, it's best to use one distro (let's say ubuntu flavors, which occupies 90% of Linux), and install only one extra DE like xfce, KDE, or LXDE. etc.

Don't make it too complex.

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-desktop-environments/

https://www.howtogeek.com/193129/how-to-install-and-use-another-desktop-environment-on-linux/

Last edited: