Questions for an upcoming media server build

s00per8

Feb 2, 2013
Hi all,

Newbie here to this great forum, and a newbie to building computers as well so please excuse my ignorance.

I want to build a media server for my house. The goal of the media server is to store all of my blu-ray and album rips so I can access them anywhere from the house, anytime. This means the media server will:
  1. Always be ON
  2. Be power efficent

Attached is an image below of what I want:
2jwnbb.png

I do have a couple of questions:
  1. Since the communication with the media server will be wireless across all devices, any recommendations for a router?
  2. Would Linux be the best OS for this server build? I don't want to pay for a Windows license :p
  3. Can I get away with cheap CPU parts? I am sure I don't need an i7 to run all this.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be great.

el aye

Jan 22, 2013
Can I get away with cheap CPU parts? I am sure I don't need an i7 to run all this.

If all it will be doing is acting as storage, even something as slow as the first generation Intel Atom CPUs will work. I ran a WHS using a single core Atom for over a year. I ended up upgrading it to a Q9400 though because it was actually a really cheap upgrade for me and I started to use the system for on-the-fly transcoding to stream HD video across the internet.

s00per8

Feb 2, 2013
If all it will be doing is acting as storage, even something as slow as the first generation Intel Atom CPUs will work. I ran a WHS using a single core Atom for over a year. I ended up upgrading it to a Q9400 though because it was actually a really cheap upgrade for me and I started to use the system for on-the-fly transcoding to stream HD video across the internet.

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming the CPU will need to transcode also when it streams to, say a WDTV Live for a 1080p film, to display on the television? Would the Atom be able to handle that as well?