Questions About Windows Live & PC Games

Whisper2

Sep 17, 2009
Which popular games introduced during the last few years required a Windows Live Account to play? I think Fallout 3 and Bioshock 2? Correct? Others?

If a game is played with a given Live account, can it ever be played with another Live account?

I changed IPS last summer and mispelled the the domain portion of my email name (wowwway instead wowway) when I tried to change the name of a 10-year old Live account. I have been trying to get it fixed with Live Support for about three weeks, but Microsoft is acting like a collective "horse's ass". For a while, I thought the answers were being handled by a computer AI rather than people.

Based on the games involved and whether I can play them with another Live account, I may decide to abandon the old account or file a complaint with my State AG's Consumer Protection Office.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I've purchased a few games with GFWL companents including Fallout 3 and Batman AA but I always created a local offline account to play. None of them actually required online account to play. Are you sure you can't do the same? I just figured the only benefit to being online was multiplay and saved game backup. I have never created a online GFWL account nor have I ever been blocked access of the games that used them.

Whisper2

Sep 17, 2009
I assumed I had to sign-in with Live as part of the game's anti-piracy efforts, similar to Steam. I guess I should have read the fine print - never did perceive any benefit, just more hassle.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
How does Games for Windows — LIVE activation work?

Games for Windows — LIVE online account activation is not required for offline game play, such as single-player campaigns. If you would prefer to play offline and not connect to the Xbox LIVE service and not create your LIVE profile, you must create an offline profile. Note that when playing offline, a separate system of protection, such as a Digital Rights Management (DRM) system, may also be used by the game's publisher.

Online account activation is required on Games for Windows — LIVE in order to connect to the Xbox LIVE service and enable a game's online game play and features, such as multiplayer modes and leaderboards. When doing so, users will encounter an activation system that uses either Server Side Authentication or Per Title 5x5 access keys. Publishers determine the activation system that best meets the needs of their game. Key features of these two activation systems include:

Server Side Authentication (SSA): This system ties the game's Games for Windows — LIVE access code to an individual user account, allowing the user to install, activate, and enjoy virtually unlimited play on multiple machines. Note that only the account used to activate the game's access code can enable online play of the game.
Per Title 5x5: This system uses a 5x5 access key that is tied to a specific game title, but not a user's PC or Xbox LIVE Account. This allows one gamertag to access and play games from an individual user's PC. At the same time, this system prevents access keys from being shared across Games for Windows — LIVE games.

If a game uses SSA, then it's tied to an account. If you no longer have access to that account, then you may not be able to use it on another account (depending on how the developer sets it up).

Oh, and good luck filing a complaint about a problem that boils down to YOU making a typo.

Whisper2

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for the information. I checked wikipedia and the it appears only a couple of my games are affected. I play the single-player version, so I guess it won't matter if the account works.

Brandon,

I know I caused the problem but Microsoft is being totally unreasonable. All they have to do to correct the problem is to send a verification email to the preferred email address listed for the account rather than the account name. They are the same except for the extra "w". I can sign-in to the account, I just can't use it.