Questions about Win8 upgrade ???

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Hi guys, need your expertise once again.

I'm still running 64bit Vista and looking to purchase the $39 Win8 upgrade (download).

I have a few questions about this download.

I like to re-install Windows about every 6 months to keep my system fast and clean, so how much of a hassle is this upgrade?

Do I need to install Vista first before I install the upgrade EVERY TIME?

If so, do I need to spend 5hrs downloading and installing Vista updates and service packs EVERY TIME?

Is there a limit to how many times I can download and install the upgrade?

Can I download the upgrade and put it on a disk for future use or can I only download it every time?

Thanks for your help!

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
see below

Hi guys, need your expertise once again.

I'm still running 64bit Vista and looking to purchase the $39 Win8 upgrade (download).

I have a few questions about this download.

I like to re-install Windows about every 6 months to keep my system fast and clean, so how much of a hassle is this upgrade?

No hassle, it took a bit longer than I expected, but overall smooth.

Do I need to install Vista first before I install the upgrade EVERY TIME?

Don't believe so, but perhaps others can be more definitive?

If so, do I need to spend 5hrs downloading and installing Vista updates and service packs EVERY TIME?

Again, don't believe so...

Is there a limit to how many times I can download and install the upgrade?

you can install it as many times as you want to the same computer, but per lic agreement, one computer per instance, unless you have enterprise version.

Can I download the upgrade and put it on a disk for future use or can I only download it every time?

Yes, you can burn an ISO to a disk or to a USB flash or both.

Thanks for your help!

Pretty Cool

Jan 20, 2000
The upgrade is supposed to be for machines already with XP, Vista, and 7. Note that on Vista though, the upgrade will not migrate programs. Only settings and data. So, you are just about starting over. That being said if you are starting with a blank drive, the upgrade apparently does not check whether your hard drive has a qualifying OS on it or not.

ron2368

Sep 13, 2000
I installed the 8 pro on an old hard drive that was used on a different pc. xp was not activated but I had no problem installing 8 over it and only needed the 8 key. I did not like 8 at all.