Questions about the Synology 216J NAS

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a Synology 216J NAS. I have some questions about it?

Can you set a sleep mode after a specified time of inactivity automatically?
Does it support NTFS formatted drives internally?
Can it handle streaming blu-ray bitrates if my network had enough bandwidth?
Will Kodi or SPMC have issues detecting this NAS on the network?

Feb 25, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a Synology 216J NAS. I have some questions about it?

Can you set a sleep mode after a specified time of inactivity automatically?

Yes.

Does it support NTFS formatted drives internally?

No.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS216j#spec

Internal file system is Linux/ext4. It can use NTFS drives externally for backup or whatever.

Can it handle streaming blu-ray bitrates if my network had enough bandwidth?

It can handle the data throughput, but won't be able to transcode. (Think of it as a "dumb" storage device that your media servers and playback devices can grab video from, not as a "smart" video server itself.")

Will Kodi or SPMC have issues detecting this NAS on the network?

A lot of factors there. But probably not. And if they do, well, it's probably not the NAS's fault.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
"Will Kodi or SPMC have issues detecting this NAS on the network?"

Not sure I understand your question - "detecting" as what? responding to IP address you entered, detecting as DLNA device, something else? As others said, you can use NAS as storage (have the client run elsewhere i.e. running SPMC on your Shield and map NAS shares into your libraries). I use that setup and SPMC has zero issues with this. Also zero issues when accessed from other Windows/Ubuntu computers. You can also use NAS as the media server by installing DSVideo, DSAudio, DSPhoto set of packages from within Synology OS if you want to turn it into DLNA device and stream to fixed/mobile devices. All works. Or you can use a third option where your client would run Plex client pointing to plex server which in turn has NAS shares in its library. Also zero issues. I have had shares accessible primarily over SMB and later switched to NFS shares and run this in exactly that set up for everything other than pictures (SMPC for pictures) , Nvidia Shield runs plex client, separate server runs PLEX server, NAS hosts the files, Plex server automounts NFS shares as startup. Everything works and works well. very happy with DS216j

"Can it handle streaming blu-ray bitrates if my network had enough bandwidth?" Why wouldn't it? the actual network requirements are significantly lower than gigabit port built in. now if you want to transcode multiple 1080p streams at once AND you want to do it on the NAS (why??) , then yes, CPU may be heavily utilized (see above).

Other all, great device - low power consumption, good ecosystem, very easy to use.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Also, assuming you control the network (it is your network after all) simply give all devices that need it static IP (through reservations or otherwise) . Configure security once, and you would forget any 'detection' problems every existed.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Does the DS216+II model more responsive than the J216 model? Is it faster at transferring files from a USB 3.0 drive to an installed internal drive than the 216J model? I need good USB 3.0 transfer speed and I will be using my portable USB 3.0 hard drive to transfer files to the NAS frequently since my home is still wired with Cat5 cable which will take too long to transfer nearly 3TB of data plus frequent transfer of 20-40GB files.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'll take the 216j off my list then. So at this point I'll add the 216+II on my list.