Questions about the newer revision raptor drives and WD RMA

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
My desktop did not boot properly the other day, I opened up the case and found that the SATA power and SATA data cables had come undone, the result of some kind of plastic on the area around the pins breaking off and the SATA power plug and data cables no longer stay on the drive without help (aka pinching them in place with tape or wedging them). This is a very tedious solution, as every time I move the desktop, the cables tend to pop out. The drive itself still works, but gosh the sata connectors on this thing are cheesy (cheap).

I own the original raptor drive, very early revision. I was thinking about RMAing it, but would they accept an RMA in a situation like this? The drive still works, but like I said, the connectors pop off due to that thin plastic part falling off. I was curious that if they were to give me a newer revision of the 36gb raptor drive when I rma it if they would have made the sata connectors on the drive a little less cheap and less prone to breaking off.

Boyo

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2006
They make SATA cables that snap in place. I would recommend you buy those. I doubt that WD will accept an RMA for a cable problem.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Boyo
They make SATA cables that snap in place. I would recommend you buy those. I doubt that WD will accept an RMA for a cable problem.

It snapped in place fine before the plastic part on the hard drive itself broke off (nothing wrong with the cable)

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I hear ya. I have the same problem with SATA cables and the drives with the little bits of plastic breaking off under the slightest bit of tension.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble
I hear ya. I have the same problem with SATA cables and the drives with the little bits of plastic breaking off under the slightest bit of tension.

So, I take it the newer revisions of the raptor drives are built using the same crappy quality plastic. Would it be so much to ask for them to use steel for that little area?

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

So, I take it the newer revisions of the raptor drives are built using the same crappy quality plastic. Would it be so much to ask for them to use steel for that little area?

I meant SATA connectors in general... I can't speak about the newer revisions of the Raptor.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

I meant SATA connectors in general... I can't speak about the newer revisions of the Raptor.

Ahh, so the bulk of the industry has this crap eh? Dang, I should have just stuck with IDE.