Question Questions about shielded ethernet cables/jacks.

L3gi0n

Jan 2, 2023
I am looking to buy a 150ft cat7 ethernet cable. Its a SSTP cable...

1. Does the cable in the link above have shielded wires and connectors ?

2. By specification, all SSTP cat7 cables must have shields for each twisted pair and a shield that wraps around all the wires. cat7 cables must also have shielded connectors.(metallic connectors). Right ?

3. I must use a cat7 cable which has shielded connectors with a shielded RJ45 jack ?

4. How can I tell if a RJ45 jack is shielded ?

5. Does a z170x gaming 3 board have a shielded RJ45 jack ?

a0shi

Apr 9, 2004
If it's shielded it will probably be labeled in the cable but honestly the easy way is by trying to bend and flex the cable. Shielded cables are thicker and very hard to bend compared to utp cables

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I am looking to buy a 150ft cat7 ethernet cable. Its a SSTP cable...

1. Does the cable in the link above have shielded wires and connectors ?

Answer: Yes - Description says it's shielded, AND it has a metal RJ-45 head

2. By specification, all SSTP cat7 cables must have shields for each twisted pair and a shield that wraps around all the wires. cat7 cables must also have shielded connectors.(metallic connectors). Right ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801#CAT7 - Basically, CAT7 has a sordid history and it's probably just better to go with 5e, 6, 6a.

3. I must use a cat7 cable which has shielded connectors with a shielded RJ45 jack ?

From the Article:
If you want to build your own highly-shielded Cat8 Ethernet cables, be sure to combine them with shielded RJ45 termination plugs, and if you’re planning to plug them into a patch panel, you want to ensure you’re using shielded Cat8 keystone jacks, too. Just be sure to wire it correctly: here’s a breakdown of everything you need to get started managing your patch panels, cabinets, and Ethernet connections.

This applies to shielded cables in general IIRC.

4. How can I tell if a RJ45 jack is shielded ?

Check it out at the link. If you're going to be using a patch panel with shielded cables and keystones, ensure the patch panel is able to be grounded.

5. Does a z170x gaming 3 board have a shielded RJ45 jack ?

I don't think you're going to find a ethernet spec'd shielded port on too many (if any) desktop boards.

IMXP shielded cabling / configs are mainly used in DC's where EMI is likely due to all the high Voltage cabling.

It might help if you're thinking of a specific use-case and would like to elaborate.

Reactions: DaaQ