Questions about Phenom II Zosma 960T

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I know a couple of members here purchased one and I would like some feedback on how this processor has been performing. I am building a setup with a 960t for my cousin and would like to know what to expect.

Also, What stock HSF does it come with? The same crappy cooler as the Deneb X4s?

RyanGreener

Nov 9, 2009
I know a couple of members here purchased one and I would like some feedback on how this processor has been performing. I am building a setup with a 960t for my cousin and would like to know what to expect.

Also, What stock HSF does it come with? The same crappy cooler as the Deneb X4s?

It's basically the Deneb Quad Core that has a better IMC and better overclockability. Keep in mind, there is a chance you can unlock it too, so it can become the Thuban Hex Core we all know and love.

I'm unsure of the stock heat sink. Back when I heard/knew about these, they were OEM only. It appears that they can be bought retail now....but I don't know if they come with the Thuban heat sink (which isn't bad) or if they come with the Deneb one.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
It's basically the Deneb Quad Core that has a better IMC and better overclockability. Keep in mind, there is a chance you can unlock it too, so it can become the Thuban Hex Core we all know and love.

I'm unsure of the stock heat sink. Back when I heard/knew about these, they were OEM only. It appears that they can be bought retail now....but I don't know if they come with the Thuban heat sink (which isn't bad) or if they come with the Deneb one.

Yeah, I am hoping for the Thuban heatsink because my intentions are to attempt to unlock to 6 cores. I don't want to be running 6 cores on a Deneb heatsink though, might get toasty.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I just put my little brother's system together using this chip Tuesday. He hasn't done much on it but everyone use to lag in CoH after 15mins when he hosted 4v4 with 150 unit cap. Yesterday we did 4v4 unlimited cap and we never lagged in a 2.5hr match. Previous chip was a Core2Duo @ 2.93ghz. Not much to go on I know. Never even opened the heatsink box, just tossed on an aftermarket cooler which seems to be the going recommendation around the web even if you don't unlock/overclock.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I just put my little brother's system together using this chip Tuesday. He hasn't done much on it but everyone use to lag in CoH after 15mins when he hosted 4v4 with 150 unit cap. Yesterday we did 4v4 unlimited cap and we never lagged in a 2.5hr match. Previous chip was a Core2Duo @ 2.93ghz. Not much to go on I know. Never even opened the heatsink box, just tossed on an aftermarket cooler which seems to be the going recommendation around the web even if you don't unlock/overclock.

I know this is might be hard to do. Any chance you can take a picture of the cooler for me? Or at least let me know if its the thuban or deneb heatsink?

I built my friend a Phenom 2 940 back in 2010, used the stock heatsink and it overheated every summer.(hitting 70c at some point)

maniac5999

Dec 30, 2009
I built my friend a Phenom 2 940 back in 2010, used the stock heatsink and it overheated every summer.(hitting 70c at some point)

The C2 940s just plain ran hot, period. Especially the OEM chips they sold at the end of the run to clear out inventory of old C2 stepping chips. I had one that would regularly hit 70* with a 120mm tower cooler at stock speed/voltage. The C3 and E0 chips run much MUCH cooler.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I've seen some users get to 4GHz on 1.37v. It took mine 1.47v to get there as a quad core (can't get there period with 6 cores enabled). Still, I bought mine for the sole purpose of having a quad and hex core available as I need. I don't need six cores at the time, so I'm content just running four for now.

As for the heatsink, it's the crappy little all-aluminum one. 95W TDP. I'd really recommend going for something like a CM 212+, for ~$25 you really can't go wrong. I never break 42C load while running LinX (or 44C as a hex at 3.8GHz). Granted, it is winter, but it's a Texas winter...

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I have a Coolermaster Vortex 752 that I can use. Its not the greatest but I bet its better than the stock cooler.

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009

My Phenom 9850(Agena) Phenom II 940(Deneb) Phenom II 965(Deneb) and Phenom II 1090T (Thuban) all came with the copper heat pipe cooler. AMD doesn't use a different cooler for Deneb and Thuban, they use a different cooler for 95W and 125W processors. My guess is the 960T comes with the cheaper aluminum cooler since it's a 95W processor.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
My Phenom 9850(Agena) Phenom II 940(Deneb) Phenom II 965(Deneb) and Phenom II 1090T (Thuban) all came with the copper heat pipe cooler. AMD doesn't use a different cooler for Deneb and Thuban, they use a different cooler for 95W and 125W processors. My guess is the 960T comes with the cheaper aluminum cooler since it's a 95W processor.

Funny, my friends 125w Deneb came with the standard aluminum 95w tdp heatsink.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Funny, my friends 125w Deneb came with the standard aluminum 95w tdp heatsink.

I would have RMAed if they gave me one of those tiny tin can heatsinks for a 125W cpu.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I didn't get a photo but my brother did confirm that the heatsink in his box is indeed the basic aluminium one with no heat pipes.

volcane

Nov 1, 2011
I just bought one.

Played around with the core unlocker on my Asrock 870 mobo just now and voila - phenom II x6!

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I'm thinking about making a trip to BB and picking up a hyper TX3.

tcclaviger

Dec 21, 2011
Ok as the proud new owner of a Zosma 960t, ill give u the mixed bag :)

Confirmed comes with piece of trash cooler.

Motherboard: Asrock A785GMH/128mb (Asus M4A88T-V Evo is in the mail)
Cooler: Xigmatek S1283 with second fan in a push/pull configuration

Pop the chip in and hit 4GHZ @ 1.425 volts
Lets see how far she goes :)

Posts up to 4.9GHZ, but crashes immediately after the login screen in windows past 4.6ghz.

Not happy with my temps at 4.5 I backed off to 4.4 and cut voltage down to 1.52CPU, 1.475 on the NB.

Mine will unlock the last 2 cores, but wont make it into windows using them all, I am not sure if this is due to my board or a faulty 5th/6th core, will find out when the Asus gets here :)

Ambient Temp: 24 c
Idle Temps @ 4.4ghz 1.52v = 42c
Load Temps @ 4.4ghz 1.52v = 58c

With water cooling there is no doubt in my mind that 1.6 would get me 4.9 if not 5.0. 4.5 can be stable but due to needing 1.58 volts it pushes past 60c quickly.

Even without core 5 and 6, it is one hell of a deal @ 109 from newegg for a 4.4ghz quad core stable on quiet air cooling!

Last edited:

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
Stay at 1.52v and you will cook that chip permanently.

I did manage to get this one up to 3.8 @ 1.40v. Core unlocker unlocks to 6 cores but won't boot to windows no matter what.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Ok as the proud new owner of a Zosma 960t, ill give u the mixed bag :)

Confirmed comes with piece of trash cooler.

Motherboard: Asrock A785GMH/128mb (Asus M4A88T-V Evo is in the mail)
Cooler: Xigmatek S1283 with second fan in a push/pull configuration

Pop the chip in and hit 4GHZ @ 1.425 volts
Lets see how far she goes :)

Posts up to 4.9GHZ, but crashes immediately after the login screen in windows past 4.6ghz.

Not happy with my temps at 4.5 I backed off to 4.4 and cut voltage down to 1.52CPU, 1.475 on the NB.

Mine will unlock the last 2 cores, but wont make it into windows using them all, I am not sure if this is due to my board or a faulty 5th/6th core, will find out when the Asus gets here :)

Ambient Temp: 24 c
Idle Temps @ 4.4ghz 1.52v = 42c
Load Temps @ 4.4ghz 1.52v = 58c

With water cooling there is no doubt in my mind that 1.6 would get me 4.9 if not 5.0. 4.5 can be stable but due to needing 1.58 volts it pushes past 60c quickly.

Even without core 5 and 6, it is one hell of a deal @ 109 from newegg for a 4.4ghz quad core stable on quiet air cooling!

Nice work - please update when you get the new mobo, I'm interested in the results!

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I'm curious about overclock potential vs a Phenom ii x4 955-980 black edition. Seems like the phenoms run out of steam around 4Ghz. Does the Thuban roots on the 960t allows more headroom?

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I'm curious about overclock potential vs a Phenom ii x4 955-980 black edition. Seems like the phenoms run out of steam around 4Ghz. Does the Thuban roots on the 960t allows more headroom?

Theoretically it should. Thuban doesn't have as hard of a time getting to 4GHz as the C2 stepping PhIIs, but in my observation it seems the C3 PhIIs have a slightly easier time getting there than the Thubans (less voltage). Still, if you get a black edition Thuban, you should be able to reach 4GHz unless you got a lemon.

My 960t required a bit more voltage to get to 4GHz than I would have liked, and it's not fully stable there with six cores, but I have it set to use four cores only. It's stable at 3.8GHz, 1.42v with six cores so I might go that route later.