Questions about Newegg Returns vs EVGA Step-Up

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
I just bought an EVGA 460 1GB Super Clocked card w/ Just Cause 2. Rumor has it that the 560 may be coming out in about a month. Depending on that happening and the price it launches at, I may decide to upgrade as I would be within both the Standard VGA 60 day window and the EVGA Step-Up window.

I figure someone around here has experience with this, so I was hoping to find out:

• My understanding is the standard VGA return policy doesn't have a restocking fee, but I assume I have to pay shipping?
  • Does EVGA pay shipping, or provide it free with the step-up program?
  • Does having a bonus game affect the return to newegg? Does it matter if it's opened?
  • Does filing for the mail-in rebate effect either the newegg return or EVGA step-up?
  • How is the EVGA step-up price calculated? Should I expect to receive full retail credit for my existing card: current retail, or the retail price I paid?
  • Does registering my card with EVGA have any effect on a return to newegg?

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
I just bought an EVGA 460 1GB Super Clocked card w/ Just Cause 2. Rumor has it that the 560 may be coming out in about a month. Depending on that happening and the price it launches at, I may decide to upgrade as I would be within both the Standard VGA 60 day window and the EVGA Step-Up window.

I figure someone around here has experience with this, so I was hoping to find out:

• My understanding is the standard VGA return policy doesn't have a restocking fee, but I assume I have to pay shipping?
  • Does EVGA pay shipping, or provide it free with the step-up program?
  • Does having a bonus game affect the return to newegg? Does it matter if it's opened?
  • Does filing for the mail-in rebate effect either the newegg return or EVGA step-up?
  • How is the EVGA step-up price calculated? Should I expect to receive full retail credit for my existing card: current retail, or the retail price I paid?
  • Does registering my card with EVGA have any effect on a return to newegg?

I dont know the answer to all of these. But the one highlighted above, The card you are wanting to step-up to from EVGA....The amount you paid for your card, will be deducted off the new card, and you'll be obligated to pay the balance. And to ship it to them.

So if the new card you are wanting, is $400 from EVGA website...and you paid $260 for your current card. You will have to send them your card and $140.

I think....

I would think that if you received the rebate...the card couldn't be returned to Newegg. And I believe the same...it cant be returned if it is registered. "Newegg would be the one to ask this question"

But someone with a lot more experience will chime in. You can be sure of that. :)

Last edited:

cadred

Dec 7, 2010
And I believe the same...it cant be returned if it is registered. "Newegg would be the one to ask this question"

But someone with a lot more experience will chime in. You can be sure of that. :)

I sent an email to newegg, but haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure how candid they will be with their answers.

I hope someone who has gone through one process or the other can chime in :)

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I bought an EVGA SuperClocked GTX 470 from NewEgg over a month ago... If you plan to return it they may require a re-stocking fee or say it is for exchange only - depending on their VGA policy listed for that particular card. If you filled out the rebate form for your card and mail it in - you cannot return the card... I'm planning to trade for the EVGA GTX 570 using their step up program. The trade in value is what you paid for it minus rebates and minus promotional code discount.

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I bought an EVGA SuperClocked GTX 470 from NewEgg over a month ago... If you plan to return it they may require a re-stocking fee or say it is for exchange only - depending on their VGA policy listed for that particular card. If you filled out the rebate form for your card and mail it in - you cannot return the card... I'm planning to trade for the EVGA GTX 570 using their step up program. The trade in value is what you paid for it minus rebates and minus promotional code discount.

I don't think part is true, unless EVGA changed their policy. I did multiple step-ups in the past and the MIR didn't count as the "amount paid" for the card. For this very reason, it is a better (or at least was) better to go for a MIR deal if you thought a step-up might be in your future.