Questions about M.2 to mSATA adaptor.

Chikara

Mar 16, 2019
  • Does an M.2 to mSATA adaptor support both SATA M.2 SSD and NVMe M.2 SSD?
  • Does the M.2 to mSATA adaptor in the following image have a controller that might break easily? How long would it last in a server that runs continusously? Perhaps, would it last longer than an M.2 SSD?
2019-03-18_Mon_00:32:14.png

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I don't think adapter cards are known from breaking, but I could be wrong.

P.S. Very interesting question you asked as I myself am contemplating mSATA SSD for laptop I might buy. Do I go with mSATA SSD or M.2 2242 with mSATA adapter card?

Which M.2 2242 SATA SSD were you thinking of using?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I had one for a few years. Just sold it. I used an old Samsung 2280 card. worked fine. Got an NVME drive and it didn't work with it but that may not be the same for all cards. I then bought an M.2 PCIE 4x adapter and it works fine at a lot faster speeds than the SATA adapter would had it worked.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
M.2 2280 SSD 128GB which can be cut into a 2242 piece.

Eeep! What are you doing cutting PCBs? You know that there are wires (vias) in middle layers in the PCB, right? Just because you don't see connections on the top/bottom PCB layer, doesn't mean that you can cut them.

Chikara

Mar 16, 2019
I had one for a few years. Just sold it. I used an old Samsung 2280 card. worked fine. Got an NVME drive and it didn't work with it but that may not be the same for all cards. I then bought an M.2 PCIE 4x adapter and it works fine at a lot faster speeds than the SATA adapter would had it worked.

That's because mSATA connector is wired to SATA host controller. SATA host controller cannot work with NVMe which is based on PCIe.
M.2 to mSATA adaptor works only for SATA M.2 SSDs. NVMe M.2 SSDs can work on PCIe slots.

Eeep! What are you doing cutting PCBs? You know that there are wires (vias) in middle layers in the PCB, right? Just because you don't see connections on the top/bottom PCB layer, doesn't mean that you can cut them.

Some SSDs are designed to be cut into smaller sizes. They are actually M.2 2242 SSDs with additional cuttable segments added to them.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
NVMe is NOT a mSATA, and is NOT backwards compatiable to mSATA.

NVMe = pci-e drives, requires a pci-e port and the only external devices i have found for them are extremely expensive compared to the mSATA counterpart because they are typically Type-C USB, or USB3.1 not 3.0.

Here is an example of a NVMe external:
https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclos...nvme+external&qid=1552930822&s=gateway&sr=8-4

You see what i mean about pricey compared to there mSATA counterpart.